Killer Flu: Video Questions
Name:___________________ Date:________ Class:__________________
- What questions must scientist answer to fully understand the 1918 flu pandemic?
- Why is it important to understand the genetic basis of the 1918 influenza virus?
- Where do scientists think that the 1918 virus originated? What evidence supports this?
- How did the illness get the nickname Spanish Flu?
- How did WW I contribute to the spreading of this flu?
- What is meant by the term "heliotrope cyanosis"? What causes it?
- What is the current explanation of why this flu attacked mostly the young and healthy?
- What do scientists know now that they didn't know in 1918?
- How does a virus survive and thrive?
- Why is it easy for a virus to mutate?
- What evidence did scientists use to find and identify the virus from 1918?
- Why didn't this virus need to mutate as it spread throughout the human population?
- What is significant about the 1916 virus that appeared in Etaples, France?
- How did scientists directly study how the 1918 virus affected its hosts? What controversial studies are being suggested in order to learn more about the workings of this virus?
- What are the arguments, both pro and con, for a flu pandemic occurring again soon?