Cleaning Your Credit

August 6th, 2009, by


Q: How do I get a judgment, from years ago from a landlord that I do not owe money to, off of my credit report?

New York

A: If you showed up in court, and the judgment was entered and approved by the court, you may have no recourse. However, you might go to your local court and attempt to have the judgment vacated if it was entered in error.

You might also try contacting the credit bureaus and dispute the judgment. If the credit bureau is unable to verify the listing, then, by law, it must be removed completely from your credit report. Inaccurate, incomplete or unverifiable information must be removed or corrected, usually within 30 days. At the Federal Trade Commission’s Web site, you will find tips and a sample letter on disputing errors on your credit reports.

You are right to be concerned about the judgment, because it can seriously damage your credit history. A judgment can stay on your credit report for seven years. If you can prove the judgment is wrong, it’s worth the effort to get it removed.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>

Please note that the WNET editorial staff reserves the right to not post comments it deems to be inappropriate and/or malicious in nature, as well as edit comments for length, clarity and fairness. No solicitations or advertisements will be allowed. Users may link to other Web sites relevant to discussion, but most often links to commercial Web sites will not be permitted.
Last modified: April 18, 2011 at 2:32 pm