Airdate | Tuesday, May 1, 2012
Hometown | Pass Christian, MS
Parents | Lawrence E. Roberts and Lucimarian Roberts
Why You (Should) Know Her:
- She’s the co-anchor of ABC’s Good Morning America.
- When she joined ESPN as a sportscaster in 1990, she made a name for herself with her catchphrase “Go on with your bad self!”
- She was the first journalist to interview President Obama after his inauguration.
Why She’s Buzzing | Just in time for Mother’s Day, her new text, My Story, My Song, which was written with her mother, shares stories of their lives and what they learned from each other through their collaboration.
Robin Roberts Trivia
- During the 2011 WNBA All-Star Game, Roberts’ broadcasting work was honored for its impact on women’s basketball.
- Roberts was inducted into the Women’s Basketball Hall of Fame.
- Her father, Lawrence, was a pilot with the Tuskegee Airmen.
- Roberts graduated cum laude from Southeastern Louisiana University with a degree in communication.
- A skilled basketball player, she turned down an athletic scholarship to Louisiana State University after visiting the campus. She still played for the Southeastern Louisiana University team, becoming one of only three Lady Lions to score 1,000 career points and claim 1,000 career rebounds. Her #21 jersey was retired during a ceremony held in February 2011.
- She earned three Emmy Awards for her work with ESPN.
- She was also given the WBCA’s Mel Greenberg Media Award in 2001.
- Roberts drove the Pace Car for the 2010 Indianapolis 500 in May 2010.
- On July 31, 2007, during a live broadcast, Roberts announced that she had been diagnosed with breast cancer. Ironically, it was after she had worked on a special covering Joel Siegel’s farewell on GMA. Siegel died from colon cancer. By March 2008, she had completed her chemotherapy and radiation treatments. (see video here)
2007 From the Heart: Seven Rules to Live By
2012 My Story, My Song: Mother-Daughter Reflections on Life and Faith