Airdate | Tuesday, March 20, 2012
Hometown | Dallas, TX
Birth name | Marvin Lee Aday (later changed to “Michael Lee Aday”)
Parents | Wilma Artie and Orvis Wesley Aday
Meat Loaf Trivia
- “Bat Out of Hell” is one of five biggest selling albums of all time.
- Before “Bat Out of Hell”, Meat Loaf was a high school football player, nightclub bouncer and stage actor.
- After making a guest appearance on House, Meat Loaf learned the show’s star, Hugh Laurie, is a classically-trained pianist. The end result? A collaboration on the song “If I Can’t Have You” on the album, “Hang Cool Teddy Bear”.
- According to his IMDB profile, Meat Loaf tells contradictory “official” stories of how he got his stage name. Also, despite the moniker, he doesn’t like to eat meat loaf.
- In 1978, Meat Loaf fell off the stage and broke his leg during a concert in Canada. He completed the rest of the tour while in a wheel chair.
The hard rock musician discusses the eye-opening experience of working with hip-hop legend Chuck D of Public Enemy and Lil Jon.
“Just having those two guys on the record has made my life.” Meat Loaf, on his new respect for hip-hop
Selection of performances and projects
Music (and Honors)
1977 “Bat Out of Hell” – Certified Platinum in U.K. (7x), Australia (24x), United States (14x); Diamond (2x) in Canada
1981 “Dead Ringer” – Certified Platinum in U.S.; Gold in Canada
1983 “Midnight at the Lost and Found” – Certified Gold in U.K .
1984 “Bad Attitude” – Certified Gold in U.K.
1986 “Blind Before I Stop” – Certified Silver in U.K.
1993 “Bat Out of Hell II: Back Into Hell” – Certified Platinum in UK (6x), Canada (9x), U.S. (5x) – Grammy for Best Rock Vocal Performance, Solo for “I’d Do Anything for Love (But I Won’t Do That)”
1995 “Welcome to the Neighbourhood” – Certified Platinum in U.K. (3x), Canada, U.S. (2x)
2003 “Couldn’t Have Said It Better” – Certified Platinum in U.K. and U.S.
2006 “Bat Out of Hell III: The Monster is Loose” – Certified Platinum in U.K. and CAN; Gold in Australia and U.S.
2010 “Hang Cool Teddy Bear” – Certified Platinum in U.K.
2011 “Hell in a Handbasket”
1975 The Rocky Horror Picture Show
1981 Dead Ringer
1992 Wayne’s World
1998 Black Dog
1999 Fight Club
2001 Formula 51
2002 The 51st State
2004 A Hole in One
2007 Urban Decay
2008 Meat Loaf: In Search of Paradise
2010 Burning Bright
1992 Tales from the Crypt (Episode “What’s Cookin’” as Chumley)
1997 Nash Bridges (Episode “Wild Card” as Charlie Pep)
1998 South Park (Episode “Chef Aid” – Cameo)
2001 The Ballad of Lucy Whipple (as Amos ‘Rattlesnake Jake’ Frogge)
2006 Masters of Horror (Episode “Pelts” as Jake Feldman)
2009 House (Episode “Simple Explanation” as Eddie)
2009 Ghost Hunters (Episode “Bat Out of Hell” as Himself)
2009 Monk (Episode “Mr. Monk and the Voodoo Curse” as Reverend Hadley Jorgensen)
2009 Citizen Jane (as Detective Jack Morris)
2010 WWE Raw (as Himself)
2010 Glee (Episode “The Rocky Horror Glee Show as Barry Jeffries)
2011 The Celebrity Apprentice (as Himself)
What is your favorite Meat Loaf project? Share your thoughts below.