Production Crew Bios

POSTED ON September 6, 2016

Following students in five different countries for twelve years required assembling a dedicated crew. Meet the people who made Time for School happen.

Click here for Production Credits.

Nina ChaudryNina Chaudry: Director, Producer, Writer
Nina Chaudry is an award-winning journalist and documentary filmmaker. She was recently the project director of Chasing the Dream, a public media reporting initiative about poverty in the United States. In this role, she executive produced a national broadcast documentary about the widely debated nationwide movement to increase the minimum wage; collaborated with WNYC’s On the Media to produce a multi-part radio documentary; oversaw a five-part digital series on the rise and fall of Atlantic City; and launched an Instagram photo journalism series documenting the lives of people living in poverty.

Previously, she produced a film about the education reformer Michelle Rhee for PBS’s Frontline. She was the senior producer of Women, War & Peace, a five-part PBS series on the strategic role of women in global conflict and peace-building. For seven years, she was a producer for the PBS Emmy Award-winning international series Wide Angle, where she worked with independent filmmakerson more than 40 documentaries, covering issues such as the drug-fueled corruption in Colombia, the challenges to fostering democracy in Afghanistan, and efforts to reduce maternal mortality in sub-Saharan Africa. Time for School originated as part of the Wide Angle series.

Nina has been a judge, panelist or featured speaker for the Independent Filmmaker Project, Firelight Media, ITVS, POV, the U.N. and several universities. She continues to mentor and advise independent filmmakers on their documentaries and is currently developing a film on the partition of British India in 1947, which resulted in one of the biggest and bloodiest migrations in human history and has left an indelible stain on Indo-Pakistan relations.

Alexandre Lima: Brazil Field ProducerAndrew Fredericks: Editor, Writer
Andrew Fredericks has been a filmmaker for nearly thirty years, working as a producer, director, editor and cinematographer. He has collaborated with journalist Bill Moyers on a host of documentaries, including Living on the Edge, Surviving the Good Times, Free Speech for Sale, and America’s First River. His body of work also includes If You Knew Sousa, America in the Forties, and Fat, with pioneering filmmaker Tom Spain. His work has appeared on ABC, NBC, PBS, National Geographic and Bravo. He directed and edited Money Driven Medicine with producer Alex Gibney and edited the award-winning I Came to Testify, the premier film in the highly acclaimed PBS series Women, War & Peace. More recently, Andrew edited Abigail Disney’s feature documentary, The Armor of Light, and Pamela Hogan’s Looks Like Laury, Sounds Like Laury, named one of the top ten television shows of 2015 by The New York Times.

Pamela Hogan: Series Creator, Executive Producer

An Emmy Award-winning filmmaker, journalist, and media executive, Pamela Hogan’s recent independent film Looks like Laury, Sounds like Laury – about the mother of two young children confronting a neurological breakdown – was hailed as one of “The Best TV Shows of 2015” by The New York Times and honored with a Gabriel Award. She was recently co-creator and executive producer of the PBS series Women, War & Peace and director of the first episode, I Came to Testify, about the Bosnian women who changed international law when they testified about wartime rape for the first time in history. Seen by 12 million viewers, the films won two Overseas Press Club awards, a Television Academy Honor, and a Gracie Award; and I Came to Testify was awarded the ABA’s Silver Gavel for excellence in fostering the American public’s understanding of law.

Previously, Pamela was executive producer of PBS’s international series Wide Angle. Working closely with global filmmakers on 70 programs filmed in 50 countries, she also originated and developed the Emmy-winning Ladies First about women’s leadership in post-genocide Rwanda, and launched Time for School following seven children in seven countries from kindergarten through high school as they fight the odds to get a basic education (Gabriel Award, Overseas Press Club citation, IDA nominee). Her speaking engagements include the White House, USIP, Capitol Hill, the Asia Society, the U.N., CFR, and Harvard and UC Berkeley Law Schools. A graduate of Harvard College, she holds a master’s in journalism from Columbia. Pamela is an adjunct professor in Columbia Journalism School’s documentary program, and she is currently developing a film about the women of Iceland.

Oren RudavskyOren Rudavsky: Executive Producer, India Field Producer
Oren Rudavsky is the recipient of a Guggenheim Fellowship. Oren is currently producing the NEH-funded American Masters documentary: Media Mogul: Joseph Pulitzer and the Power of the Press as well as the NEA funded The Ruins of Lifta. His film Colliding Dreams is being released theatrically in 2016.

His film A Life Apart: Hasidism in America was short-listed for the Academy Awards and his film Hiding and Seeking was nominated for an Independent Spirit award.

Oren was the producer of media for the permanent installations at the Russian Jewish Museum and Tolerance Center in Moscow, which opened in 2013. In 2011, Oren produced a series of profile documentaries for Bloomberg television called Risk Takers. In 2009, Oren was producer/writer of Time for School 3, a 12-year longitudinal study examining the education of seven children in the developing world for the PBS series Wide Angle. In 2006, he was the producer, writer and director of his first fiction feature, The Treatment, starring Chris Eigeman, Ian Holm and Famke Janssen. The film premiered at the 2006 Tribeca Film Festival where it was awarded Best Film, Made in New York.

Oren’s other work includes writing and producing segments for the ABC national series PrimeTime Live, the PBS series Media Matters, Religion & Ethics Newsweekly and other national programming. He has also worked as a post-production supervisor on the film unit of Saturday Night Live and the syndicated series Tales from the Darkside in the 1980s.

Tamara Rosenberg: Executive ProducerTamara Rosenberg, Executive Producer
For over 10 years, Emmy-nominated producer Tamara Rosenberg has been making documentary films for television and theatrical distribution worldwide. They have aired on PBS, HBO, Discovery, ABC and ESPN. Tamara recently produced ESPN’s five-part documentary O.J.: Made in America, which premiered at the 2016 Sundance and TriBeCa film festivals. ABC and ESPN’s 30 for 30 aired the films over the course of a week in June. Tamara is currently in development with a new documentary about an ongoing high-profile court case involving disability rights.

She previously produced and wrote a series of historical video installations for inclusion in the world’s largest Jewish Museum in Moscow, Russia. She co-produced the PBS documentary on light pollution The City Dark, which was nominated for the 2013 Emmy Awards. For the 10-year anniversary of 9/11, she produced TLC’s two-hour special, 9/11: Heroes of the 88th Floor, which was nominated for an Emmy Award in 2012.

For seven years, Tamara worked for PBS’s award-winning foreign affairs series Wide Angle, overseeing the production of several documentaries, including her broadcast version of Lord’s Children, about child soldiers in Uganda, which was nominated for the 2009 Emmy Awards. She produced the third installment of Time for School, which aired in 2009.

A native of France, Tamara has studied and worked in Israel, New Zealand, and Egypt. She earned her master’s degree at the Columbia University Graduate School of Journalism in New York.

Hervé CohenHervé Cohen: Benin Field Producer
Hervé Cohen is an award-winning filmmaker and cinematographer and has traveled the world to capture compelling stories for international productions. He has filmed from the Amazon, filming a musical poetic piece about environment, to the countryside of China, following the work of three traveling projectionists; via Senegal capturing the initiation ceremony of a young Diola; throughout the entire United States, filming a family road movie during the Democratic primaries; in Italy and Portugal for a series of portraits of Europeans; and, of course, from his hometown Paris filming a personal story about the exile of the Algerian Jews. He has also shot two feature narratives in San Francisco and in Haiti. Hervé is currently producing and shooting Life Underground, an interactive documentary about metro riders in the subways of the world and their intimate stories and thoughts.

Ruhi HamidRuhi Hamid: Afghanistan Field Producer
Ruhi Hamid has made several award-winning documentaries for the BBC, Channel 4, Al Jazeera International, and other American and European broadcasters. A highly experienced filmmaker, Ruhi has a talent for bringing the best out of people to produce intimate, enjoyable and insightful films.

A graduate of the Royal College of Art, Ruhi has been working as a freelance producer and director making documentaries for the past 20 years. Specializing in international stories, her projects have taken her to Africa, Asia, South America and the Middle East, making films about Islam, women, poverty, human rights, health, political and social issues; from conflict and war-torn countries like Afghanistan and Somalia gaining access to remote or small communities often hostile and not familiar with film crews; and winning the trust of people and institutions.

In 2004 Frontlines – Laos, a Rory Peck Impact Award finalist, was the first ever-filmed report to capture the plight of the Hmong trapped in the jungles of Laos.

Ruhi has developed and nurtured emerging talent Reggie Yates for BBC 3, with the success of Extreme Russia series winning the Best Series for the Broadcast Award and finalist at the Royal Television Society Award in 2016.

Alexandre LimaAlexandre Lima: Brazil Field Producer
Alexandre Lima is a multimedia storyteller, photographer, filmmaker and editor. A director and producer of documentaries, Alex has been a field producer and camera for the PBS documentary series Time for School, since 2003. He lived abroad for many years, speaks English, French, and Portuguese and now lives in between Rio de Janeiro and São Paulo.

Frederick RendinaFrederick Rendina, Kenya Field Producer
Frederick Rendina has produced, written and directed for A&E, the Biography Channel, the History Channel, the Travel Channel, PBS Wide Angle series, the United Nations, Link TV, National Geographic On Assignment, and while based in Dakar, Senegal, field produced for Associated Press Television News (APTN). His documentary and narrative films have also appeared on PBS, RAI-TV-Italy, NHK-TV Japan, and on Northwest Airlines as part of the Independent Feature Project’s Independents-in-Flight series. His versatility as a filmmaker ranges from writing scripts for Stephen David Entertainment’s Discovery and History Channel series to directing To Educate a Girl, a feature documentary centered around the U.N.’s Millennium Development Goal of equal access to education, shot in Nepal and Uganda.

For A&E’s international division, he produced, directed, wrote and edited new material for their Biography and Investigative Reports series, covering subjects from Anne Frank to Bob Marley and from counterfeiting to human trafficking. He was producer and writer for the international version of History Channel’s World Wars and is story producer for several A&E Latin America series, including El Jesuita, a four-hour mini-series on Pope Francis. He very often shoots his projects himself. Films include Turning the Tide: Tsunami Volunteers, Let Good the Good Times Roll Again, Utopia, A Gang for Good (narrated by Academy Award-winner F. Murray Abraham and featuring Jerry Stiller), After the Gun and Secrets of the Soul. With a background in dramatic arts, his career began in the Literary Department of Joseph Papp’s Public Theater (New York Shakespeare Festival) where he evaluated playwriting, directing and acting talent. He went on to become story editor and associate producer for actress/director Lee Grant’s Academy and Emmy Award-winning production company, Joseph Feury Productions. His original screenplays include the award-winning script, Kabi, and his latest, The Elopement (La Fuitina).