- BBC News Country Profile – United Arab Emirates
Profile includes general overview, basic facts, political leaders and major media organizations.
- CIA World Factbook – United Arab Emirates
Authoritative country profile based on data collected by the Central Intelligence Agency.
- Google Map of the United Arab Emirates
- The New York Times – United Arab Emirates Reference Page
Includes breaking news and archival articles published in The New York Times.
- BBC News: Snow Comes to the Deserts of Dubai
The Gulf Emirate of Dubai hosts the largest indoor snow park in the world.
- The New York Times – The Louvre’s Art: Priceless. The Louvre’s Name: Expensive.
Explains why Abu Dhabi is paying a multi-million dollar fee to license the name of the prestigious French museum.
- Office for Metropolitan Architecture (OMA)
Leading international partnership practicing contemporary architecture, urbanism, and cultural analysis. Rem Koolhaas is one of the firm’s main partners.
- Palm Islands Project
Official website of the signature architecture project involving the construction of artificial islands.
Norwegian architecture firm featured in “The Sand Castle.” Offical website features descriptions and pictures of its many projects around the world.
- BBC News: Dubai Ruler in Vast Charity Gift for Educational Foundation
The ruler of Dubai, Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid al-Maktoum, has donated $10 billion dollars to set up an educational foundation in the Middle East.
- The Dubai Initiative at Harvard University
The primary objective of the Initiative is to bridge the expertise and resources of the John F. Kennedy School of Government/Harvard University with the Dubai School of Government and enable the exchange of students, scholars, knowledge and resources between the two institutions.
- Middle East Report: Dubai in a Jagged World
Established in 1971, the Middle East Research and Information Project (MERIP) is a non-profit, non-governmental organization based in Washington, DC., providing information and analysis on the Middle East.
- National Geographic – “Sudden City” by Afshin Molavi
Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid al Maktoum has led the transformation of his realm from a drowsy fishing village to a tax-free business haven and world capital of glittering excess.
- The New York Times: Fearful of Restive Foreign Labor, Dubai Eyes Reforms
Examines the government’s response to growing labor unrest.
- Human Rights Watch: Building Towers, Cheating Workers
Exploitation of migrant construction workers in the United Arab Emirates.
- Human Rights Watch: United Arab Emirates
Non-governmental organization investigates and exposes human rights violations around the world.
- Human Rights Watch: World Report 2007, United Arab Emirates
While the economy of the UAE continues its impressive growth, human rights progress has been slow.