WOMEN WAR & PEACE | PBS

Nov. 1: The War We Are Living

November 1, 2011

Watch the full episode:

If you ask Colombia’s city dwellers and governing political class, they’ll tell you the country’s 40-year-old civil war is over. But The War We Are Living reveals the “other” Colombia, in rural areas far away from the capital, where the war is all too real – and now the battle is over gold. In Cauca, a mountainous region in Colombia’s Pacific southwest, two extraordinary Afro-Colombian women are fighting to hold onto the gold-rich land that has sustained their community through small-scale mining for centuries. Clemencia Carabali and Francia Marquez are part of a powerful network of female leaders who found that in wartime women can organize more freely than men. As they defy paramilitary death threats and insist on staying on their land, Carabali and Marquez are standing up for a generation of Colombians who have been terrorized and forcibly displaced as a deliberate strategy of war. If they lose the battle, they and thousands of their neighbors will join Colombia’s 4 million people – most of them women and children – who have been uprooted from their homes and livelihoods. Narrated by Alfre Woodard.

Watch the promo

Credits for The War We Are Living

More from the Women, War & Peace series:

I Came to Testify
The moving story of how a group of 16 women who had been imprisoned and raped by Serb-led forces in the Bosnian town of Foca broke history’s great silence – and stepped forward to take the witness stand in an international court of law.
Pray the Devil Back to Hell
The astonishing story of the Liberian women who took on the warlords and regime of dictator Charles Taylor in the midst of a brutal civil war.
Peace Unveiled
Three women in Afghanistan are risking their lives to make sure women’s rights don’t get traded away in peace negotiations with the Taliban.
War Redefined
The capstone of Women, War & Peace challenges the conventional wisdom that war and peace are men’s domain through incisive interviews with leading thinkers, Secretaries of State and seasoned survivors of war and peace-making.

Comments

1. Wilfredo Blanco says:

Black Colombians are not Afro. They are Colombians first and Colombians last. U.S.A. racist polocies are totally out of the loop as to what is going on; just like in Afganistan the gringos disregard regional cultures and the gringos impose their filthy decease by force, shielding behind democracy and promoting zionistic mentality. 186 countries voted against the economic embargo to Cuba, only the zionistic state in the middle east and the wanna be jews from America – North America that is – voted to keep this criminal polocy going on for decades; since greed for power and stealing wealth is their only motivation we the people are now aware of your dismal goals. We Colombians will bury your greedy ambitions for ever.

• allen craig says:

Sorry, Wilfredo, black people didn’t magically appear in Colombia. They were brought here sadly as slaves by the Europeans—not North Americans—and have assimilated into the Colombian culture. Yes, when anyone is born in Colombia, ellos son Colombiano. But the term “Afro-Colombian” refers to their bloodline, not some gringo-inspired redefinition. Get off your defensive high horse and read an encyclopedia.

• Cristina Santos says:

Not to be defensive Allen. But if Black people in Colombian are supposed to be called ‘Afro-Colombianos” Shouldn’t I be called “Euro-Colombian”then? Given my European bloodline. Well, not the case. I feel 100% Colombian and I think Black Colombians should be called the same. Colombians period! I simply don’t think that there’s a necessity to classify here. That’s all!

• Tessa says:

Cristina come out of the clouds. What you just is a classic example of the priviledged society bestows upon Europeans/Whites. And the fact that you don’t even recognize it, is a clear example of how it works – no to be defensive.

• Dee-Dee says:

I am born and raised in the United States of America; however, my ancestors, kidnapped and dragged to the U.S. through slavery, are from that magnificent country AFRICA! I am not a native here, I am what can be called an African-American. I am just as American as any other White-American, but thats saying nothing since they are all descendants of Europeans who migrated here, and therefore non-natives as well. Just the same, the Black-Columbians are not native Columbians since their ancestors are from Africa, carried to Columbia through slavery, hence, Afro-Columbians. The mixing of enslaved Africans with the Columbians produced the beautiful descendants, Afro-Columbians a.k.a. Black Columbians. Don’t allow the racist, evil, wicked, hateful, diseased hearts of others concerning the physical characteristics of Africans to infect you and cause you to be ashamed of your heritage, causing you to desire to be disassociated with them. It would truly be your very sad loss, revealing you to be weak, ignorant, and foolish. Praise to my All Mighty God for the beautiful and wonderful variations that exists within the human species.

• Sarcastic Truth says:

Dee-Dee, Africa is not a country, it’s a continent. And if you are born somewhere, you are a native of that place. What you probably meant to say is that you aren’t indigenous in the USA.
            Praise evolution for the wonderful variations, God has nothing to do with this.

• Dee-Dee says:

Sarcastic Truth, thank you for pointing out my mistake in labeling Africa as a country, I know it is a continent, simple mistake. I was so engrossed in my main point of the comment that I didn’t realize I was referring to Africa as a country. If you read my comment bellow, it is clear that I understand Africa to be a continent consisting of her numerous beautiful countries. Now, I am NOT a Native-American, but am legally an American, Afro-American. Being born somewhere does NOT make you native to that area. If an English husband and wife were to travel on a vacation to Nigeria and the wife, being pregnant, goes into an early labor there and gives birth in Nigeria, is the baby native to Nigeria? No. What you mean is, if my parents, legal residents of some country, produce a child and gives birth to the child in that country, that child is native to the country; no, I don’t believe that. White-Americans, Black-Americans, none of us are considered Native-Americans since our people did not originate from here; our origins are tied elsewhere. We either migrated here or were kidnapped, enslaved by barbarians, and dragged to this country that was already occupied and belonged to it’s original people, Native Americans/Indians. America, then and STILL DOES, belong to the Native Americans, which we are not.
            Sarcastic Truth, the truth is: Praise be to GOD ALMIGHTY, yesterday, today, and tomorrow, for the Earth and all life within. He is the source and sustenance of ALL life! :)

• Afro- Colombian says:

You understand that humans make the distinction of race/color there is no such book telling that. And I think personally if someone adds the ancestry/bloodline to the country of birth at least has some knowledge of the culture and roots of that place they are claiming to come from. So if I say Afro-Colombian I have knowledge of Africa’s history and it’s culture. Im Colombian because that is my country and I am not ashamed of the color of my skin, and don’t have to say I am Afro-Colombian to emphasize my roots all the time. Slavery in Colombia ended at the moment of our independence, unfortunately there is racism like everywhere in the world were you can find uneducated people.

• Naked Truth says:

If your “mighty god” existed then your ancestors wouldn’t have been KIDNAPPED..(actually sold)

• allen craig says:

I don’t think anyone said anything about what people are “supposed” to be called. Frankly, I find the discussion silly. “Colombians” is fine with me. But many black Colombians DO have a distinct history in the country and in fact are targeted specifically for unfair treatment by other ethno-Colombians. So, when addressing this unfairness, if you’re having the conversation and you need to define the specific ethnic group you are talking about about, we use words to help in that communication. And that’s all they are: words. So whether it’s “Black Colombians”, “Afro-Colombians” or “Colombians who originated from the slave trade and who have become an enriching part of what is modern Colombia but who are still maligned by other ethic groups”, they all say the same thing and it’s only when people get defensive about what words are used to simply describe them in conversation is when it becomes problematic.
          And if most of your bloodline is of European descent, then you ARE Euro-Colombian. Big deal.

• Afro- Colombian says:

I agree with you. And understand your points.
            In Colombia we don’t make the distinction with our “ancestry” or “bloodline” as was pointed by others. We don’t use the term Afro-Colombian like here in the USA with African-American we are just Black color of skin but we don’t define that as a Race, we never have to fill forms asking for Race or Ethnicity unlike the USA. Blacks, Indian, Mestizo are all Colombian Citizens. So to some this new term is new and somewhat weird.

• Margot says:

This ….craig,….. Do you understand Castellano? if yes then read…
        Entonces Wilfredo se tiene que bajar del caballo de la defensa…..Por que? Por que un blanco HIJO DE PUTA COMO VOS LO DICE? who are you? fucking white stinky trash…
        Are you doing commanding some DRUG CARTELS in Colombia? For sure you are one of them you piece of MIERDA. Why don’t you die and go to the same Hell you gave and still are giving to others. Any white in LatinAmerica is a THIEF, A MURDERER….YOU DESCENDATS OF THE MOST CRIMINAL RACE ON EARTH!!!

• Jay says:

Wilfred B has the right to express his narrow-minded views. Anybody should have the right to expose his/her ugly derriere for everybody to see. However, “we Colombians” have kept this kind of ignoramus where they belong, in the fringes of political discourse. The great majority of “we Colombians” have never bought their tired “…evil US…blah blah blah” from these Castro/Chavez/Gaddafi wannabes who when given the chance have proved to be as corrupt and worst than the most awful governments. Their primitive need for resentment and somebody to hate and blame for all shortcomings is at the core of their rants. They will always be around; no problem with that. But the record shows that, the majority of “we Colombians” are not as gullible/ignorant/hateful/narrow-minded as some characters are.

• Sarah says:

Wilfredo, I have actually visited Afro-Colombian communities and several of them explicitly stated that they consider themselves part of Africa in Colombia. You do not state your own racial/ethnic identity, but you talk about black Colombians as “them” so clearly you do not identify there. I would suggest you do some work on checking your own assumptions against the way others choose to describe their own identity and experience, rather than using them to justify your own ideological arguments.

• Helena says:

Well, I’ve lived there, you know, on account of being black and Colombian. Not to give any cred to the whole western-US nonsense, but I do have to say: Wilfredo is right about one thing. The “Afro” part IS optional. Not all black Colombians identify as Afro-Colombians. In fact, the term is indeed a new one -and one that is mostly used for political purposes, specially following the 1991 constitutional reform. Now, “Afro-Colombian communities” is a confusing term to me. Where are these Afro-Colombian communities that identify with Africa? Chocó? Alto Chocó? Tumaco? Atlántico? Bolivar? Valle? Cauca? I mean, consider the territory you´re discussing and the fact that there are black communities across the nation, in every province, every city and yes, every neighbourhood. While there are places with higher concentration of black people, such as say, the pacific area, we thankfully never had to endure segregation like the US or places in Europe did. So Afro-Colombian communities…can be anywhere. And sure, some people might feel a sense of connection or identification (although I tend to find the term disingenous, as “Africa” itself is a murky idea at best, so identifying with it tends to be difficult). Do we have “african roots” Oh, yes! And I think most of us are proud. But to say that we identify as part of Africa in Colombia… Again, I´m not saying you´re wrong, but rather pointing out that that kind of connection might be more of a personal, small-community kind of thing rather than a widespread phenomenon. I´m the proud descendant of slaves and I have never either identified or heard anyone in my family identify as anything but Colombian.

• flaviopascale says:

wilfredo,first learn how to spell policy.. as for your racist chants.. storm in tea cup blanco..

2. Manolo says:

millions of black colombians identify themselves as AFRO-Descendientes. and the number recognizing that they are the contemporary roots of the african diaspora is growing. Before you let your left-wing zeal colonize african identity once again, i suggest you start recognizing that the cultural diversity that Colombian nationalism has been erasing for 200 years will continue to rise and that the only option for Colombia to survive is to draw strengh, not weakness, from this diversity and forge a truly plurinacional state.

3. Andres Lizcano says:

What I can say? We are an unfinished nation has only 200 years of independence. Our people are still ignorant and sell their conscience for a few bucks. But even though we lack a long way to go… Is only with hope, love and above all people who long to see a better Colombia. I pray that my life will serve to help advance Colombia, to bring good things to my country and not just complaints, claims or more war. But definitely Peace begins in each family with the help of God, the government can not require something only for each Colombian family. God bless are this womens that working for the peace. -Mathew 5:9-

• Dee-Dee says:

You are BEAUTIFUL Andres! My prayers are with the suffering and displaced Columbians. You are absolutely right, God’s will and purpose will prevail above and beyond all others wicked intentions, efforts, and desires. Justice and goodness will be given to the suffering Columbians, as well as all of the poor and suffering throughout the world by our Almighty God!

4. Mary Beth Goring says:

In Colombia, thousands and thousands of heroes are risking their lives daily standing up to the forces of evil that destroy their homes, families, and livelihood for profit. These forces are Colombian and also multi-national. There are so many afro-decendiente communities that are non-violent and attempting to create a way of life in Choco, Uraba, Cauca and elsewhere. They are our heroes, and we honor them. They are role models that the world needs. We are so eager to watch what this documentary will offer.

5. Tessa says:

The one place in the world where blacks are not identified first by their RACE is in Africa. Whereby definition you are black. however any other non indigenous race (ie Arabs Afrikaans,Asians etc) are distinguished by their race. for example Egyptians do not call themselves “African” Any where in the world outside of Africa where black people reside, thier nationality will always come secondary to their race.

• Dee-Dee says:

I know for me, an African-American, I don’t know exactly what country my particular ancestors were from; therefore, I just say African. One day I may trace my lineage and find out which specific country in Africa I am from, but I am fine with the word African, I don’t care if I’m called that, is it a bad word or somthing? African? That word African….boy….people are touchy about THAT word; we don’t mind so much Egyptian, Ghanian, or Nigerian, or any other specific country, just PLEASE NOT AFRICAN! People are funny about that title, WHY???????????? WHO CARES!!! AFRICAN, NIGERIAN, NIGER, CHAD, NAMIBIA, KENYA, UGANDA, EGYPTIAN, WHATEVER!! I love it all, we are all brothers and sisters, I am all of it! I am African, YEEEEIII :)

• Evee says:

@Tessa, I agree with you in the fact that black racism is nonexistent, but you also have to consider what happened with the civil wars, such as those that occurred in Rwanda. There was racism within a single race between the Tutsis and the Hutus. The the story of the genocides is heartbreaking, but here is a page that explains it: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/1288230.stm

• Tessa says:

for a more in depth explanation of the war in genocide as well as the truth and reconcilation commisions try Peace Versus Justice by author C Sriram.

Tribal, ethnic and denominational wars occur all over the world (The middle East for example) so surely you cannot isolate that conflict to Africa alone?

In some cases these internal conflicts are prepetuated by external parties – who have something to gain through dividing and conquering the people an everything to lose should they fail to do so.

6. Lew says:

So no one has anything to say about this idiotic anti-Semitic rant?

7. Carlos R Ponce says:

It is really sad to see communities displaced just purely for greed. What amazes me the most is how our tax dollars are giving to the militaries of these countries just do harm people who simply live in their communities peacefully off the land.

• Charo Mina-Rojas says:

And continued to fuel violence, dispossession and murder. The US government just approved $23 million dollars more this year, despite all reports on human rights and international humanitarian law violations.

8. Tessa says:

Maybe they are waiting for an anti-idiot to ask the right question?

9. Alvaro Rodriguez says:

This is a great documentary about the life of these brave women that fought for something that have been part of their lives. A community that survives from the land that was going to be taken by people thinking in “growing business” before looking at the side effects of this chain reaction. I’m glad that they were heard and it is an example of living peacefully in our lovely country.

• Elizabeth says:

Alvaro, I agree: This documentary was outstanding and shed light on horrible human rights offenses that the US turns a blind eye to (and in many ways participates in). Unfortunately, La Toma’s is not an isolated incident in Colombia: I have seen the exact same situation on the north coast down through the Panama border. Throughout Colombia there are strong, brave, and persevering women (and men) who are peacefully fighting for what is and always has been their’s. Colombia is full of great women like the ones in La Toma.

10. Charo Mina-Rojas says:

Very accurate presentation of the situation in Colombia and the particular plight and struggle of Afro-Colombians. Just as complementary information, he suspension of the eviction of people of La Toma didn’t end the struggle of Francia, Clemencia and all members of the community to protect their lands. They continued to be death threaten without any pro-active effort from the government to protect, prevent and make justice. They continued under threat by illegal miners who continued making illegal presence on their lands. The government of Santos with his “locomotora minera” (mining locomotive) continued generating great risk for Francia, Clemencia and all traditional artisanal miners in the country. The lands of Afro-descendants in Colombia, as their lives continued under threat. This struggle continues!

11. Simon says:

I just watched the documentary on PBS. The women were brave in pursing their inalienable right….a place to call home. I now plan to visit Colombia one day. This community should keep reaching out to the rest of the world. Surely there is enough in this world for all of us…there just aren’t enough for the greedy: Gandhi said once. Peace my people!

12. Abraham says:

Ignorance is Bliss!!! Colombianos “mestizos” como diriamos en ingles “YOU’RE IN DENIAL” There are a growing number of Afro-descendants, not only in Colombia, but throughout the Americans that you’ve made invisible for far too long. That time is coming to an end. What you can do to help is acknowledge that you’ve acted as if everything is equal for too long, as if racism is not a serious problem in the Americas. The difference between the US and other countries in the Americas is that laws were put in place to segregate. This has enable Black people in the US to fight against something tangible like law. You without laws have segregated Black and indigenous people and while it is more difficult to fight against something that is not tangible, VENCEREMOS!!!!

13. Faith says:

Enlightening! Kudos to the community for standing up for their rights, alongside making sacrifices. Kudos to the women leaders for speaking up unceasingly, while risking their lives. I was glad that one of the women leaders was able to go further & speak up and seek help abroad (in the USA) when she could not get help in her own country. As she said, her voice and the united voice of the community was heard, not only the government’s. The ending of the program, with the overturning of the previous ruling, giving the land back to the people was a victorious ending. I agree with the remarks above that the struggle continues, but I also rejoice in victories, big or small.

14. Leon Gamino says:

Same old , same old. the rich want something so they rig the law in order to justify stealing
    it from the poor. The sad thing is that in this day and age the so called “World powers ” stand
    by or even facilitate it.

• Tessa says:

Okay, Leon now you’re talking to the core issue! And sadly you may be the only one. but good news TM (below) is the question to your answer – b/c it happened in that order.

15. Marta Garcia says:

These woman were so brave and I loved the way they fought for the families in thier Community! I pray for them, their Country and for more people to stand up good moral “rights”!

16. Jay says:

Colombians or Afro-Colombians, it’s just semantics and totally misses the point of the program (let them decide how they want to be called). Francia Marquez ‘s (one of the female leaders) said it well: ‘The land has meant life to us for over a hundred years. It just means greater wealth to others’ (or something to that effect). They got my vote, admiration and sympathy! It’s about time the Colombian government defend the rights of its minorities and underprivileged. Unfortunately, we now know that Uribe’s administration was as corrupt as so many others. Hopefully the US and other countries will keep an eye on this and other similar stories.

17. Jay says:

Wilfredo B (first post) has the right to express his narrow-minded views. Anybody should have the right to expose his/her ugly derriere for everybody to see. However, “we Colombians” have kept this kind of ignoramus where they belong, in the fringes of political discourse. The great majority of “we Colombians” have never bought their tired “…evil US…blah blah blah” from these Castro/Chavez/Gaddafi wannabes who when given the chance have proved to be as corrupt and worst than the most awful governments. Their primitive need for resentment and somebody to hate and blame for all shortcomings is at the core of their rants. They will always be around; no problem with that. But the record shows that, the majority of “we Colombians” are not as gullible/ignorant/hateful/narrow-minded as some characters are.

18. Glen says:

Obviously a great documentary film, it answers the question; “is Satan real”.

19. B. Dominguez says:

THANK YOU PBS for your investigative reports and documentaries about dire and crucial issues taking place around the world and that our U.S. media and government will prefer we won’t notice. In the case of Colombia as well as in Mexico, the U.S. gov got involved and made things worse with their so called “plan Colombia” and “plan Merida”; and while the U.S. “congratulates” these presidents for their “success”; the reality is terrible and quite different.

20. T says:

Is DVD avilable for sale? How do you buy the DVD?

• Lauren Feeney says:

Hi T! Click on the DVD button on the top right-hand corner of the site. Thanks for your interest! -ed.

21. TM says:

I just watched the documentary on PBS. What an example of courage! Good bless these women!

However, a question remain: how comes such injustices can still be committed with either direct or indirect involvement of the government with no punishment at all?

22. ana maria says:

Excellent documentary it is an example that democracy laid on the hands of women who unify their communities and risk everything they have for a better future for their children.
    Congratulations for your amazing story, this women set an example of heroism and women empowerment, they are the real heroes!!!!We should all be heroes of our own communities.

23. Camila says:

How much $$ and progress are getting the original poor land owners compared to how much $$$ the corrupt politicos* are getting from the mafiosos representing the gold mining company ” Anglo Gold Ashanti Company” ? plus generating despair, ecological damage, terror and corruption? Not fair.. ” As per Colombian laws #21 of 1991 and #70 of 1993, the Colombian State recognized the collective territories of afrodescendat population, awarding, among others, their right to Free and Informed Previous Consultation in order to protect their integrity and cultural identity, as well as their survival as communities. Despite the above, in 2000, Ingeominas7 awards in favor of the individual Héctor Jesús Sarria a license for mining exploitation –for 15 years- in an area of 99 hectares in “La Toma”, violating the collective rights of Afro-descendant population to be consulted about development projects in their ancestral territories.
    Once again, in 2004, the Ovejas River deviation project was reopened, and also new mining concessions were granted, without consultation, to individuals in “La Toma” territory. Among the holders of licenses we can mention the individuals Raúl Fernando Ruiz, Alfredo Díaz and the company La Kedadha –among others -, it seems that they were acting as “figurehead” of the multinational company Anglo Gold Ashanti.
    {* The Colombian Institute of Geology and Mining –Ingeominas- is the mining authority in charge of granting soil and subsoil exploration and exploitation rights over state-owned lands.]

24. R.C. Beckom says:

is it possible that satan is a female? to all women of the world stay strong, without you the world is wrong

25. Esperanza says:

One thing I noticed about this programs was how the Afro-Colombians live so apart from the rest of the population. Is Colombia a segregated country?

• Luisa says:

No, actually slavery ended right after we claimed independence from Spain. There was no laws that didn’t let former slaves live in the city, but poor and uneducated — society takes it’s toll and had pushed them to remote areas of the Country. There is black people in cities too and all the colors of the rainbow. We have people who are racist but what place on earth doesn’t have ignorance.

26. Diego Rosales says:

Colombian hip hop fusion band ChocQuibTown spoke out about racism in their country, Afro-Colombian culture, and the power of music.

In an interview with Colombian newspaper El Espectador, the three bandmates of ChocQuibTown- Tostao, Goyo, and Slow- step up as representatives of Afro-Colombian culture and discuss it’s complexities and challenges. All three agree that racism persists in Colombia, and that even as world-class musicians they have experienced bias and discrimination.

The group first responded to a question posed about the recent law passed in Colombia that criminalized racial and other types of discrimination with penalties of one to three years in prison and fines of up to $4,500 for those found guilty. Tostao said that “in Colombia, the issue of racism has not been defined, there is a fine line between what is and is not racism that is crossed all the time. The fact that the law has defined the matter is very healthy because if not they would not be able to control educational and disciplinary measures…In this country, which is multi-ethnic and multicultural, there hasn’t been the capacity to understand the differences.”

Goyo went on to explain how racism has affected her, and many Afro-Colombians, saying “here in Colombia racism still exists, although many people say no. One walks into a bank and feels persecuted, and it’s the same in a supermarket. In Colombia it hurts to accept this. Once we were interviewed on Univision and they asked if we had experienced a racist act and we responded that (racism) affects us every day. When we said that, people started responding to that on Twitter and I thought no sense in telling things as they are not. Why should I claim that in Colombia there is no racism when my mom and my grandmother and I have lived it? I’d rather have millions of people mad at me for telling the truth, than disappoint my family.”

El Espectador interviewer went on to inquire about the moment in which the band members began to discover their musical roots, to which Tostao replied “that is implicit- since we were young, because that is the life of a child growing up in Choco: you wake up listening to salsa, chirimia, and the music coming from Panama. It is imperceptible. We are raised that way, when one lives among the sugar cane and gets used to always smell sweet, or if you live by the sea and become accustomed to the salty smell of the air. When we left Choco we realized that the world outside was very different, and a way for us to stay close to our culture was to be connected to the music.”

When asked in which ways there music was reviving their cultural values Slow explained that “we want to tell, show, and save the things that our people were already forgetting. Our music is telling young people to not seek the answers outside, but rather inside.”

• Afro- Colombian says:

We are not talking about the racism…. is these women fighting every day for their families and children

27. Luisa says:

It’s beautiful what these women are doing, to defend their families, children and community. Very proud and once again it shows what women are capable of doing in tough times.
    Muchas Bendiciones para este pueblo que solo pide lo justo.

28. MrThomasAnthonyJonesSR says:

As an African-American I see the plight of the Afro-Columbians as blatant racism in action. The world needs to demand that the Columbian government protect thr Afro-Columbians, their rights, and their land.

• Luisa says:

The POOR in Colombia battles for their rights on a daily basis. That’s why we emigrate every day no matter what color we are.

29. Luis Aguilera says:

This story is so sad and depressive, and show the lies that our Colombian government said every day in order to get more money and the approval of the TLC, but for some people is more important change the whole problem to the used of the term ” AFRO”, it doesn’t matter if they are being kill nor their land its being stolen, the problem its that they call their self ” Afro-Colombian” right, we should applaud and recognize the bravery and strength of this women that risk everything for what they believe, and thanks this producers and TBS for one more time show the world the truth, hopefully one day Uribe and Santos will pay for all the crimes they made in my country.
    And remember the solution of this problem came after US government demand to Santos to protect this people rights in order to get the TLC approved, so whats will happened now that they get the approval?

30. KwusuAakhu ShepsHeru says:

You all are missing the one major point and that is: that all resources on this earth is here for everyone. The resources belong to all the inhabitants of the earth. Although resources are found on your land, that only means that you have the First say in how it is to be used. However, if you are not highly-intelligent, you will cry that ‘it is yours and yours alone’. When you cry that, it’ll be the beginning of all of your hells. First and foremost, we are all Human-Beings. What you call yourself is really irrelavent because you are here on this earth and in one form only – the human form. Therefore you should ‘care’ about All human-beings living conditions on the earth. The Colombians are dying overthere because they each don’t want to share to everyone involved. Why are there over 2 million people there Displaced? Because you all will not come together and decide what is Best for all. All of you all are rich there!! You’re sitting on gold mines while living in poverty; does that make sense???? You’re not seeing the greater picture! There will be No Peace in your lands until you Learn to see that you all are equal. Does the Sun decide to shine on some and not on others? No! The Sun, the rain, the air is shared by us all, so why don’t we humans do the same and shall to all what is here For Us All? Your greed is going to continue to bring harm and a terrible life to you all unless you open your eyes and heart and Realize that you must share the wealth among All of the Colombians First. Your governments involved, are only going to look out for themselves because they all are corrupt from within and has their hands already in their doing all kinds of unfair deals. I have studied the Histories of this earth all of my life and I have studied these documentaries placed here and it’s so sad what humans keep failing to realize day in and day out and that is that we are all the same no matter what colour or what race we call ourselves. We are of the Human-Family and we need to treat each other with care, so that every human-being can live good on the earth. No human-being on this earth should be without a home and basic fundamental needs. We all are here living like we are Crazy!! Shame on us all. Stop the madness and have-a-look at how we the people are living on this earth in 2011. It’s sad. Real sad. And when are we gonna change for the betterment of all Human-Beings? When? How many more will have to be murdered before you wake-up? What about the children NOW? All children? How dare you overgrown adults do this to them! How dare you all have your eyes tightly shut just because you’re selfish? Colombia, you’re lucky I’m not a god, because if I was, I would remove all of the resources that are there, to a heaven, and then see if you all realize that you all are creating HELL right here on earth. (Hell is not a place you’re gonna die and go to – you’re already in it – Have-A-Look!). We have and are creating hell right here on earth. Let’s change this and start creating Heaven right here on earth. Dare you to try! Tefnut Elbey.

31. Thanks for the good writeup. It if truth be told was once a leisure account it. Look complex to more added agreeable from you! By the way, how could we communicate?

32. 1300 numbers says:

I do not even understand how I stopped up right here, however I believed this publish was once great. I do not recognise who you might be but definitely you are going to a well-known blogger if you aren’t already. Cheers!

33. I simply couldn’t go away your website before suggesting that I extremely enjoyed the standard information a person provide in your visitors? Is going to be again incessantly in order to check out new posts

34. dallas newton says:

When all the arguments over identity are made, the real issue remains unresolved. That is one of power. If a People have no power to protect their interests; They will always be at the mercy of the elites and their sympathizers.

35. Latino Mestizo says:

This is simply an issue of bureaucracy and classism… Or in other words Colombia…

36. MT says:

Hi I am Colombian but I live in the Netherlands, I would like to see this documentary but the video is restricted to the US I guess, is there any other way to watch it? Thank you

• anonymous says:

0. find out what a internet proxy is
      1. find out how to use a proxy
      2. get on a proxy from the united states
      3. this website will now think that you’re in the US, and you will be able to see it.

podcast twitter facebook