WOMEN WAR & PEACE | PBS

Leymah Gbowee Awarded Nobel Peace Prize

October 7, 2011 | Pamela Hogan

I’m overjoyed by today’s news that the Nobel Peace Prize for 2011 was awarded to President Ellen Johnson Sirleaf of Liberia, to Liberian peace activist Leymah Gbowee, and to pro-democracy campaigner Tawakkul Karman of Yemen.

Leymah Gbowee’s visionary leadership of the women’s movement that played a transformative role in bringing peace to Liberia has been a core inspiration for the five-part series I have been part of creating, with Abigail Disney and Gini Reticker, for the past three years. How fitting that the premiere of Women, War & Peace takes place next Tuesday, just days after this extraordinary news.

The Nobel committee’s statement that “We cannot achieve democracy and lasting peace in the world unless women obtain the same opportunities as men to influence developments at all levels of society” touches the very heart of the series.

Women are heavily targeted in today’s wars, but Leymah insists that we grasp one basic truth: that these women are not victims but courageous, resourceful survivors. And if we include their voices and their ideas in the quest for peace and justice, the peace will be more sustainable and the world will be more stable.

Here’s Leymah in her own words at a recent launch event for the series, telling her story of survival, revolution and victory:

Comments

1. K Topher Osborn says:

Amazing! I am so happy that she was awarded a Nobel Peace Prize. I just met her in Seattle this past Tuesday. She named me “Trailblazer.” I was so inspired by her and the advice she gave me and others.
    Leymah–I promise I will live up to the title you bestowed on me

Trailblazer

2. m n says:

Well deserved.. See what happens when you let your intuitive heart, intellect and passion lead. The film is an inspiring and compelling one that sends many messages and lessons to walk away with..

3. Lee Ann Broussard says:

Ever since I have heard about Lehmah, saw the movie “Pray the Devil Back to Hell,” and became friends with a Liberian refugee who ended up here in Lafayette, LA, I have been intrigued by the courage and the faith of Lehmah and her women brigade of peacekeepers. Wonderful that PBS is featuring such an amazing woman!

4. Li lawson says:

I am very proud that a woman of such strength
    And commitment has been recognized as a force
    To be reckoned with.congrats and peace.

5. Prophetess Kolani says:

The power of faith in one vessel is amazing! I am ashamed at how ignorant I have been with regard to this cause but as I make myself more aware I am committed to educating my own students and mentees. This honor is well deserved and I pray that more come in the knowledge and revelation of truth that liberty brings.

6. gaming forum says:

Hello there, simply changed into aware of your blog thru Google, and found that it is really informative. I’m going to be careful for brussels. I’ll appreciate in the event you proceed this in future. Many other people will probably be benefited out of your writing. Cheers!

podcast twitter facebook