- 3 large tomatoes, diced
- 2 zucchini, sliced and halved
- 2 summer squashes, sliced and halved
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 small eggplant, chopped
- ½ cup fresh basil, minced
- 1.5 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4th tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Heat the oil over medium heat in a large saucepan. Once hot, add the bell pepper, zucchini and summer squash and sauté for about six-eight minutes until just tender.
- Add the eggplant and tomatoes and continue cooking for another 15-20 minutes until the mixture is thick and stew-like.
- Add half of the basil followed by the salt, pepper and red pepper flakes. Stir well, adding more seasoning if you desire.
- Serve ratatouille with additional fresh basil and crusty bread for dipping.
Yield: 4-6 servings