Vivian visits her friend Nancy for a surprisingly comforting combination of homemade pickles, chicken salad, and chocolate cake. Ben and Vivian audition a new chef to offer Ben some relief and much-needed time to focus on his art.
Vivian’s Cooking Demo
Vivian’s Featured Recipe
Quick-Pickled Cucumbers and Onions
- 1 pound small, seedless cucumbers, cut into ¼-inch rounds
- 1 bunch spring onions, cut into rings or 1 medium sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 1 (12-ounce) bottle unseasoned rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Place the cucumbers and onions in a 1-quart jar with tight-fitting lid.
- Bring the vinegar, sugar, salt, and pepper to a simmer in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, stirring until the sugar and salt dissolve, about 2 minutes. Pour the vinegar mixture over the cucumbers and onions, making sure the vegetables are submerged.
- Cover and refrigerate until chilled before serving. Store covered and refrigerated for up to 1 week.
Tips/TechniquesIn this episode we show you how to make fermented pickles. That process takes days. If you don't have that kind of time and need pickles pronto, try this recipe for making quick pickles. - Vivian Howard
Yield: Makes about 4 cups