Premiered October 1 on PBS. Check your local listings.Vivian’s summer itinerary picks up with a 14-day photoshoot as she preps for a first-time trip to Feast Portland. Before heading out west, Sam Jones and Miss Lillie share old school cabbage recipes that influence the dish she prepares for festival goers. While on the road, Vivian trusts John and Justise to hold down the fort back home.
Featured Ingredient: Cabbage
Vivian’s Featured Recipe
Sausage Stewed Cabbage
We don’t just stew collards in the South. Cabbage, or “cabbages” as we say here, slow cooked with seasoning meat, is just as likely to round out our plates as anything else that shoots from the ground. -- Vivian Howard
This recipe is featured in the Stand by Your Cabbage episode of Season 4 of A Chef's Life.
- 8 ounces semi-dry country-style sausage
- 2 quarts water
- 1 large head green cabbage
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Combine the sausage and the water in a 4-quart saucepan. Cover and bring it up to a boil. Cook for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, Quarter the cabbage and remove its core. Cut the quarters into rough 1 inch slices. Larger pieces are okay too- just a little harder to eat.
- Make sure you still have about 2 quarts of water in the saucepan and add the cut cabbage. It will not be completely submerged right away, but check back in a minute or two and stir things around. The cabbage will cook down, and in about 5 minutes, everything should be submerged in the cooking liquid. If not, add just enough water to barely cover.
- Simmer covered for about 30 minutes. You’re looking for the cabbage to be quite tender. Add the salt. Serve warm hopefully with cornbread.
Yield: 5 cups