Try the Recipes
Brisket: Miriam Reichl’s Corned Beef Ham
Ruth Reichl shares her mother's recipe for brisket: Miriam Reichl's Corned Beef Ham. Watch Ruth and Lidia Bastianich share a Passover meal in Lidia Celebrates America.
- 4 pounds whole corned beef brisket
- 5 bay leaves
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- Whole cloves
- 1 can spiced peaches
- Cover corned beef brisket with water in a large pot. Add the bay leaves and onion. Cook over medium heat about 3 hours, until the meat is very tender.
- While the meat is cooking, mix the brown sugar and mustard. Preheat oven to 325.
- Take meat from water and remove all visible fat. Insert cloves, as if it were a ham. Cover meat with the mustard/sugar mixture and bake one hour, basting frequently with peach syrup.
- Surround meat with spiced peaches and serve.
Yield: serves 6
Charoset is a combination of chopped apples, walnuts, and sweet wine, usually served at Passover. Watch Lidia Bastianich celebrate Passover with Ruth Reichl and family, in Lidia Celebrates America: Holiday Tables and Traditions.
- 2 pounds medium gala or fuji apples
- 1 pound granny smith apples
- 10 teaspoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ¾ pound raw walnuts (chopped and toasted)
- ⅔ pound golden raisins (cut in smaller pieces if large)
- 4/5 cup extra heavy Malaga wine (approximately 2 bottles)
- 1 tablespoons fresh grated ginger
- Juice from 2 lemons
- Roughly chop apples
- Mix the apples with all the other ingredients
Yield: 4 pounds