Fig, Kale, and Tomato Salad
Although the combination in this salad may sound unusual, crunchy kale, juicy tomatoes, and sweet figs come together to make a delectable holiday salad. This jewel colored dish works beautifully as an impressive salad course.
- 2 cups finely chopped kale
- 2 to 4 tablespoons Sweet Balsamic Dressing (see recipe below)
- 3 to 4 cups chopped romaine lettuce
- 1 ripe tomato, chopped
- 4 large dried figs, stemmed and very thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons unsalted roasted sunflower seeds
- Put the kale into a medium size bowl. Pour 1 tablespoon of the dressing on top of the kale. With clean hands, massage the dressing into the kale. (This will help to break down the tough fibers in the kale, tenderizing it for your salad). Let the kale marinate in the dressing for about 20 minutes.
- Put the lettuce, tomato, figs, and sunflower seeds in a large salad bowl. Right before serving, add the kale and more dressing to taste and toss until the greens are evenly coated. Serve at room temperature.
Tips/TechniquesKale varieties with thinner leaves, such as red russian (also called lacinato or tuscan kale), are best suited for this recipe.
Yield: 2-4 servings