Mashed Potatoes and Cauliflower
"Here Ive jazzed up mashed potatoes with cauliflower, giving the dish a boost in nutrients, especially vitamin C, while also making it lower in calories. Because cauliflower has a mellow flavor and creamy texture, the result is much like the traditional version of the ever-popular side dish. Although the potatoes are sharing the stage, they still play an important role, holding everything together after mashing." -- Laura Theodore
- 1 head cauliflower, coarsely chopped
- 2 medium white potatoes, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup unsweetened nondairy milk, plus more as needed
- 1 tablespoon vegan margarine, plus more as needed
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- Chopped fresh parsley or basil, for garnish
- Steam the cauliflower and potatoes until soft but not mushy, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the nondairy milk in a small saucepan over medium-low heat until steaming hot but not boiling.
- Transfer the cauliflower and potatoes to a medium bowl and add the nondairy milk, margarine, and salt. Mash with a potato masher until smooth and lump-free, adding more nondairy milk or margarine as needed to achieve the desired consistency. Serve immediately, garnished with parsley if desired.
Yield: Makes 4-5 servings