Watch a Preview
When it comes to cupcakes, nobody decorates better than Martha. On today’s show, she shares three scrumptious recipes: orange curd cupcakes topped with citrusy orange chips, elegant brownie cupcakes topped with sugared pansies, and buttercream sunflower and marzipan ladybug decorated cupcakes. All guaranteed to brighten everyone’s day.
This Week’s Recipe
Brownie Cupcakes with Sugared Pansies
Make Martha Stewart's Brownie Cupcakes with Sugared Pansies from the Decorated Cupcakes episode of Martha Bakes.
- 2/3 cup unbleached all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 6 ounces bittersweet (61 percent cacao) chocolate, chopped
- 1 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 8 ounces white chocolate, chopped
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon white gel-paste food color
- 2 drops purple gel-paste food color
- 2 drops violet gel-paste food color
- Sugared edible flowers, such as pansies, for decorating
- Cupcakes: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a standard muffin tin with paper liners. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa, and salt.
- Melt butter and chocolate in a heatproof bowl set over (not in) a pot of simmering water, stirring occasionally, until smooth. Remove from heat and add sugar, stirring to combine with a rubber spatula. Add eggs and vanilla; stir until emulsified. Add flour mixture and stir until just combined.
- Divide batter evenly among muffin cups. Bake until cupcakes are just set, 22 to 24 minutes. Transfer tin to a wire rack and let cool completely. Carefully remove cupcakes from tin without loosening cakes from liners.
- Glaze: Place white chocolate in a small heatproof bowl. Bring cream just to a boil in a small saucepan, then pour over chocolate. Let stand 3 minutes until chocolate has softened, then stir with a rubber spatula until emulsified. Stir in white food color, then stir in purple and violet food colors, one drop at a time, until desired color is reached.
- Pour glaze over cooled cupcakes, filling just to tops of liners. Poke any air bubbles with a toothpick or small skewer. Let stand at room temperature until glaze has set, about 15 minutes. Decorate with sugared pansies. Let stand at room temperature until glaze has set completely, about 1 hour. Cupcakes can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature up to 2 days.
Yield: Makes 12
Additional recipes and video clips from the episode are available on MarthaStewart.com: