In every episode of Martha Stewarts Cooking School, learn cooking fundamentals following Marthas signature step-by-step, how-to teaching process. Be sure to check your local listings to see when this episode will be airing in your area.
Watch a Preview
Eating greens is an integral part of a healthy lifestyle. Martha shines the spotlight on greens by making five recipes: Sorrel Soup, Pasta with Grilled Sardines and Bitter Greens, Swiss-Chard Frittata, Kale Caesar Salad and Spicy Escarole. Youll be inspired to try these surprisingly easy recipes.
Watch This Week’s Cooking Lesson
Martha Stewart demonstrates how to chiffonade kale by rolling the leaves and cutting very finely on an angle.
This Week’s Recipe
Kale Caesar Salad
This kale caesar salad recipe appears in the "Eat Your Greens" episode of Martha Stewart's Cooking School.
- For the Croutons:
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, divided
- 1 (1/2 pound) loaf brioche bread, crusts removed, cut into ½-inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, divided
- For the Salad:
- 2 cloves garlic
- 4 anchovy fillets, preferably salt-cured, soaked if salted; or 2 teaspoons anchovy paste
- 1/3 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano, plus more for garnish, if desired
- 3 heads Tuscan kale, washed, dried, stems removed, leaves cut into ¼-inch strips
- For the Croutons: In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil and 1 teaspoon butter over medium heat. Working in batches, add one-third of the bread cubes, one-third of the salt, and one-third of the pepper; toss to coat. Cook until golden. Remove from skillet and set aside. Repeat process twice with remaining oil, butter, bread, salt, and pepper.
- For the Salad: Place the garlic, anchovy fillets, salt, and pepper in a large wooden salad bowl. Using two dinner forks or a muddler, mash to form a paste. Using one fork, whisk in lemon juice, mustard, and egg yolk. While whisking, drizzle in olive oil and continue to whisk until emulsified. Add ½ cup grated cheese; set aside.
- Add kale to bowl along with croutons and toss well. If desired, garnish with additional cheese. Serve immediately.
Yield: 6 servings
For more of Martha Stewart’s Cooking School, visit MarthaStewart.com including: