In every episode of Martha Stewart’s Cooking School, learn cooking fundamentals following Martha’s signature step-by-step, how-to teaching process. Be sure to check your local listings to see when this episode will be airing in your area.
Martha sheds light on the wide world of legumes, exploring the many available varieties — from chickpeas to calypso beans — and how to cook them using three different methods: stovetop, oven and pressure cooker. Italian chef and bean aficionado Cesare Casella joins Martha to share some of his own recipes for exceptional bean dishes.
Watch a Preview
Martha Stewart sheds light on the wide world of legumes, exploring the many available varieties.
Watch This Week’s Cooking Lesson
Martha Stewart is joined by Cesare Casella, and they discuss preparing beans.
This Week’s Recipe
Seven Bean Salad
Make Martha Stewart's seven bean salad from the "Legumes episode" of Martha Stewart's Cooking School.
- 1/3 cup red onion, finely minced
- Red wine vinegar, for marinating, plus more for dressing
- 1/4 cup each of 7 different varieties of dried beans, such as chickpeas, snowcap, scarlet runner, kidney, cranberry, appaloosa, and calypso, cooked
- 1/4 cup celery, finely minced
- 1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- Shaved Parmigiano-Reggiano, for serving
- Place red onion in a small bowl with enough red wine vinegar to cover. Let marinate for one hour.
- In a medium bowl, combine beans, celery, and parsley. Drain onion and add to bean mixture.
- Drizzle with olive oil and enough vinegar to taste. Season with salt and pepper. Toss until well combined. Salad may be eaten immediately or refrigerated up to a day.
- Just before serving, shave thin slices of Parmigiano over each portion.
Yield: 6 servings
For more of Martha Stewart’s Cooking School, visit MarthaStewart.com: