In every episode of Martha Stewarts Cooking School, learn cooking fundamentals following Marthas signature step-by-step, how-to teaching process. Be sure to check your local listings to see when this episode will be airing in your area.
Watch a Preview
Looking for the quickest, easiest way to get dinner on the table? Watch as Martha makes four one-pot meals: Stove-top Clambake, Risotto with Shrimp and Herbs, Poached Cod with Tomatoes and Arroz con Pollo. Each is a fuss-free meal and a cinch to clean up.
Watch This Week’s Cooking Lesson
Poaching is best for tender cuts such as fish, poultry, and certain cuts of pork and veal. Martha demonstrates how to poach cod fish.
This Week’s Recipe
Poached Cod with Tomatoes
This poached cod recipe appears in the "One-Pot Meals" episode of Martha Stewart's Cooking School.
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 medium red onion, very thinly sliced
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, cut in half lengthwise
- 1/2 pound small potatoes, preferably fingerling and purple, sliced into ¼-inch rounds
- 3 sprigs basil, plus leaves for garnish
- 1/4 teaspoon red-pepper flakes
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 skinless cod fillets (4 ounces each)
- 4 ounces snap peas, trimmed and thinly sliced on the bias
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice, plus 4 lemon wedges, for serving
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- In a large sauté pan with a tight-fitting lid, bring broth, onion, 1 1/2 cups tomatoes, potatoes, basil sprigs, red-pepper flakes and 2 teaspoons salt to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, until potatoes are crisp-tender, 6 to 8 minutes. Season cod with salt and pepper, add to broth mixture and cover, about 7 minutes.
- Remove and discard basil sprigs. Add peas, remaining ½ cup tomatoes, and lemon juice to skillet, gently stirring to combine; cook just until warmed through. Divide fish, vegetables and broth among 4 bowls. Garnish with basil leaves, drizzle with oil and serve with lemon wedges.
Yield: 4 servings
For more of Martha Stewart’s Cooking School, visit MarthaStewart.com including: