In every episode of Martha Stewart’s Cooking School, learn cooking fundamentals following Martha’s signature step-by-step, how-to teaching process. Be sure to check your local listings to see when this episode will be airing in your area.
A great sauce can take a dish from good to fantastic. In this episode, Martha goes over some classics, starting with Béarnaise Sauce, a derivative of Hollandaise. Next she makes Kansas City Barbecue Sauce, which is tomato-based with a sweet-tart flavor. Tartar Sauce — Martha’s version includes capers, shallots and cornichons — and a tasty Cocktail Sauce are both beloved staples. Then Martha shows us how to make Salsa Verde, a perfect accompaniment to grilled meats, poultry, seafood and vegetables.
Watch a Preview
Martha Stewart makes Béarnaise Sauce, Kansas City Barbecue Sauce, Tarter Sauce, & Cocktail Sauce.
Watch This Week’s Cooking Lesson
Martha advises to not fill the blender jar too full, place a towel over the lid in case the liquid blows off the top, and always start on low.
This Week’s Recipe
This tartar sauce recipe appears in the "Sauces" episode of Martha Stewart's Cooking School.
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons chopped cornichons
- 1 shallot, minced (about 2 tablespoons)
- 2 tablespoons capers, drained
- 1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- In a small bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, cornichons, shallot, capers, and lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper.
- Store covered in the refrigerator until ready to serve, for up to 2 days. Stir again just before serving.
Yield: makes about 1/2 cup
For more of Martha Stewart’s Cooking School, visit MarthaStewart.com