Hosted by renowned chef Marcus Samuelsson, No Passport Required is a six-part PBS/Eater series that takes viewers on an inspiring journey across the U.S. to explore and celebrate the wide-ranging diversity of immigrant traditions and cuisine woven into American food and culture. Each week Marcus — an immigrant himself — visits a new city to learn about the dynamic and creative ways a particular community has made its mark. A vibrant portrait of America today, No Passport Requiredfeatures chefs, entrepreneurs, artists, community leaders, and home cooks who have enhanced the nation’s culture and cuisine.
From Seattle, where Marcus cooks with a Filipino community eager to create new traditions for a new generation, to Houston, where West African immigrants create their own brand of soul food, No Passport Required showcases how food brings Americans — new and old — together around the table. In Philadelphia, Marcus learns more about the genesis of the Italian-American cuisine that’s such a staple in the United States today. In Boston, the chef tracks food traditions through the Portuguese-speaking world while on a whirlwind tour of the city that includes fish stews, indigenous superfoods, and even some jiu jitsu. In Southern California, the widespread Armenian community in LA and Glendale comes together to create a new home through shared food and culture. And in glitzy Las Vegas, Marcus leaves the strip to dive into the Chinese culinary traditions now revered in the city. Explore the wonders of the world’s global food traditions right here in the United States — No Passport Required.
Catch Up on Season One
From Detroit, where Marcus meets Middle Eastern immigrants who call the city home, to the Ethiopian community in Washington, D.C., No Passport Required showcases how food can bring Americans — old and new — together around the table. Explore the wonders of the world’s global food traditions right here at home in the U.S. — No Passport Required.
- Detroit Explore the culture and flavor of Detroit’s Middle Eastern community. Tune in or stream July 10 at 9/8c. Continue
- New Orleans Discover how Vietnamese residents have influenced the city in delicious ways. Tune in or stream July 17 at 9/8c. Continue
- Chicago Visit Chicago’s Mexican community to learn about its heritage and cuisine. Tune in or stream July 24 at 9/8c. Continue
- Queens, NYC Go inside the Indo-Guyanese community in Queens to explore its roots and cuisine. Tune in or stream July 31 at 9/8c. Continue
- Miami Explore the cuisine, culture and history of the city’s Haitian community. Tune in or stream August 7 at 9/8c. Continue
- Washington, D.C. Dine, dance and dish with the Ethiopian community in the nation’s capital. Tune in or stream August 14 at 8/7c. Continue