Host and award-winning chef Vivian Howard takes viewers on a culinary tour of the South through cross-cultural dishes that appear on every neighbor’s table.
- American as Hand Pie As Vivian tries to mass produce hand pies, she learns the historical ties between this convenience food, labor and migration.
- Porridge for the Soul At a dinner honoring Edna Lewis, Vivian gives porridge the royal treatment and honors African American contributions to Southern food.
- Dumpling Dilemma Vivian quickly learns that while dumplings are hard to define, they stretch our ingredients and our imagination.
- What a Pickle Vivian ponders how so many meals are brightened by pickles, including achaar, kimchi and escabeche.
- It’s a Greens Thing Vivian travels from North Carolina to Georgia to learn the roots of Southern hospitality and the goodness greens provide.
- How Do You ‘Cue? Vivian knows North Carolina whole hog barbecue but trips to Florida and Texas expands her idea of what barbecue is and how it’s done.