I do realize that I gave you all an apple recipe last week and now here were are looking at a recipe full of apples. BUT I have a reason for this. My friend Billy went apple picking over the weekend for a cute Instagram moment and brought me a big brown paper bag full of gorgeous apples.
These apples have offered some nice welcomed inspiration. This is a go-to cake for me because it’s simple, simple. It’s not a layered cake or anything like that. It’s a snacking cake, which means you can slice off a bit at a time and enjoy it at your leisure. I like to think that this cake can live on your kitchen counter for a few days; it can be eaten when people come over or whenever you’re in the mood for something to go with your afternoon tea or coffee.
The olive oil in this cake is very forward and delicious. The apples are delightful. And the dusting of powdered sugar on top is simple an classic.
Apple Olive Oil Cake
- 2 small apples, of choice (I love honey crisp, gala, pink lady)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/3 cup AP flour
- 1 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Line a 9-inch cake pan with a round of parchment and rub the sides with olive oil. Transfer the shredded apples to the center of a few sheets of paper towels. Squeeze the apples to release all of the liquid. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk the sugar and egg together until the mixture turns a pale yellow. Pour in the vanilla extract, olive oil and buttermilk; mix until smooth. Add the ground cinnamon, salt, baking soda, baking powder and flour. Whisk until speckles of flour are no longer visible. Mix in the shredded apples.
- Pour the batter into the cake pan, smoothing out the top so it’s nice and even. Transfer to the oven and bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until the top is lightly golden brown and a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean.
Adrianna Adarme is a food blogger and author living in Los Angeles, California. She writes the blog A Cozy Kitchen, where she shares comforting, everyday recipes from her kitchen. She recently authored her first cookbook, PANCAKES: 72 Sweet and Savory Recipes for the Perfect Stack. She’s a lover of breakfast, pie (and sometimes even pie for breakfast), corgis and cute things. You can find her on Twitter, Instagram, or Facebook.