Im not a big salad-eater. You usually wont find me eating a salad for dinner. But I do love them in the morning. This salad is my absolute favorite thing to wake up to because its bright and fresh yet still filling enough to get me through the morning until lunch.
I usually make a batch of bacon at the beginning of the week and boil off some eggs. Theyre usually already in the fridge so it makes throwing the ingredients together totally doable and realistic.
If youve been strolling through the grocery store or farmers market lately, you probably noticed all the bursting citrus. Definitely take advantage of it and buy a blood orange or cara cara. Theyre so delicious to add to salads. And honestly theyre great to eat on their own, too.
Breakfast Citrus Salad
- Juice from 1 lime
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Black pepper
- 3 cups arugula
- 1 blood orange or cara cara orange, segmented
- 2 slices of cooked bacon, diced
- 2 to 3 poached eggs or boiled eggs
- 1/2 avocado, sliced
- To make the dressing: In a small bowl, whisk the lime juice, olive oil, a pinch of salt and black pepper together. Set aside.
- To assemble the salad: In a large bowl, add the arugula. Toss the arugula with the dressing until evenly coated. Mix in the segments of blood orange or cara cara, along with the cooked bacon.
- Divide amongst bowls and top with a poached egg and slices of avocado. Garnish with more pepper and salt. Serve immediately.
Yield: Serves 2 to 3
Adrianna Adarme is a food blogger and author living in Los Angeles, California. She writes the blog A Cozy Kitchen, where she shares comforting, everyday recipes from her kitchen. She recently authored her first cookbook, PANCAKES: 72 Sweet and Savory Recipes for the Perfect Stack. She’s a lover of breakfast, pie (and sometimes even pie for breakfast), corgis and cute things. You can find her on Twitter, Instagram, or Facebook.