I adore winter produce. And I especially love winter citrus. I know that spring and summer usually get all the glory but nothing makes me happier than seeing bright and beautiful winter produce at the market. They’re so resilient and strong in flavor and in texture.
I actually went searching for endive or some sort of chicory. I love winter lettuces, too. But the market didn’t have them so I decided to make winter citrus the star. This is a celebration of citrus. The walnut mixture is sort of a crumb topping that adds such nice richness and flavor to an otherwise super bright salad. The anchovy adds a lovely umami flavor and the avocado pairs well with the variety of winter citrus. It’s about differences in flavor that fight with each other in wonderful ways. Contrast is a good thing!
Winter Citrus Salad
- 1 cup finely chopped walnuts
- Olive oil
- Kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon anchovy paste
- 1 tablespoon minced Italian parsley
- 1/4 cup Parmesan-Reggiano
- 2 blood oranges, segmented
- 1 grapefruit, segmented
- 1/2 avocado, peeled and sliced
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. On a baking sheet, add the walnuts and spread them out into an even layer. Transfer to the oven to roast for about 10 to 12 minutes, stirring them at the 7-minute mark.
- Remove from the oven and transfer them to a bowl. Pour in a dash of olive oil, a pinch of salt, crushed red pepper, anchovy paste, parsley and Parmesan-Reggiano. Mix until combined.
- On a plate, add the segmented citrus on a plate and drizzle with a bit of olive oil. Arrange the avocado slices and then top with the warm walnut mixture.
Adrianna Adarme is a food blogger and author living in Los Angeles, California. She writes the blog A Cozy Kitchen, where she shares comforting, everyday recipes from her kitchen. She recently authored her first cookbook, PANCAKES: 72 Sweet and Savory Recipes for the Perfect Stack. She’s a lover of breakfast, pie (and sometimes even pie for breakfast), corgis and cute things. You can find her on Twitter, Instagram, or Facebook.