During springtime and every brunch I throw, I make sure to have a frittata present. They come together in about 10 minutes and are so easy to throw together. This one starts on the stove to cook the asparagus spears a bit. They really do need that three minutes extra to cook on the stove.
While they’re cooking away, I whisk together the rest of the ingredients together. Smoked gouda is one of my favorite cheeses ever because it has this subtle smokiness that works so well with basically anything. It adds depth of flavor without being overly powering. I also love to add a bit of freshness to the top of frittatas by adding a quickly mixed salad or, in this case, micro greens I got from the grocery store.
Smoked Gouda Asparagus Frittata
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 5 asparagus spears, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 6 large eggs
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced chives
- 1 cup shredded smoked gouda cheese (about 2 ounces)
- Small handful of micro greens, as garnish
- 1 radish, thinly sliced, as garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a 9-inch skillet, set over medium heat, add the olive oil. When warm, add the asparagus spears and a pinch of salt and cook until slightly softened, about 2 to 3 minutes, until they turn a bright green. Turn the flame off and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, salt, black pepper, crushed red pepper, chives and smoked gouda cheese. Pour over the asparagus into the skillet and mix until the asparagus comes more to the top.
- Transfer to the oven to bake for about 20 minutes, until the top has set. Garnish frittata with micro greens and sliced radishes. Slice and serve.
Yield: Serves 6
Adrianna Adarme is a food blogger and author living in Los Angeles, California. She writes the blog A Cozy Kitchen, where she shares comforting, everyday recipes from her kitchen. She recently authored her first cookbook, PANCAKES: 72 Sweet and Savory Recipes for the Perfect Stack. She’s a lover of breakfast, pie (and sometimes even pie for breakfast), corgis and cute things. You can find her on Twitter, Instagram, or Facebook.