Fourth of July weekend is upon us! I cant wait. I actually have zero plans because Im currently in Mexico, so I figured Id probably need to work over the long weekend. I do have one plan, though and thats to make some bbq chicken OR oven ribs and top them with this cherry bbq sauce.
I love homemade bbq sauce. Its one of the very few condiments that I think is better in its homemade iteration.
The cherries in this bbq sauce dont make it too sweet; instead it adds a delicious richness and tartness that I think compliments meat or chicken nicely.
If youre looking for something to smother on everything from chicken to even your favorite grilled veggies, look no further!
Cherry BBQ Sauce
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 shallot, peeled and minced
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 pound cherries, pitted and halved
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne
- To a medium saucepan, set over medium heat, add the olive oil. When warm, add the shallot and garlic and cook for 1 to 2 minutes, until translucent. Add the cherries and mix together. Cook until the cherries are very soft, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add the apple cider vinegar, water, tomato paste, honey, Dijon mustard, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce and cayenne. Mix until combined. Add the mixture to the blender or use an immersion blender. Pulse until smooth. Transfer the bbq sauce back to the pot and cook over low heat, until thickened, about 10 minutes.
- Salt to taste. (I added about 1 teaspoon.) Brush on everything from ribs to chicken to vegetables.
Adrianna Adarme is a food blogger and author living in Los Angeles, California. She writes the blog A Cozy Kitchen, where she shares comforting, everyday recipes from her kitchen. She recently authored her first cookbook, PANCAKES: 72 Sweet and Savory Recipes for the Perfect Stack. She’s a lover of breakfast, pie (and sometimes even pie for breakfast), corgis and cute things. You can find her on Twitter, Instagram, or Facebook.