Meatless summer meals are high on my to-make list. I generally crave something light, not too heavy yet still filling. Im not sure this salad will fill you up entirely but itd be a great accompaniment alongside a piece of grilled fish or chicken or even some nicely grilled veggies.
The only real equipment you need, which I find comes in handy with all sorts of summer vegetables, is a mandolin. It has quickly become one of my most-used kitchen tools.
The fennel is crisp and delicious, while the orange and lemon add a nice combo of sweetness and acid. The good news is the salad tastes better and better the longer it sits. Its a great thing to make the night before and then eat for dinner and lunch.
Fennel Salad with Peaches and Avocado
- 2 bulbs fennel, halved and center removed
- Juice from 1 orange
- Juice from 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons shelled pistachios, finely chopped
- 1/2 peach or nectarine
- 1/2 avocado, sliced
- Definitely start this salad with removing the center bit of the fennel. I find it super biter and not so pleasant. Using a mandolin or a sharp knife, slice the halved fennel bulbs very thinly. Transfer to a medium bowl (or in my case, a baking dish that I used to serve).
- In a small bowl, whisk together the orange juice, lemon juice, olive oil, a few pinches of salt and pepper. Pour it over the fennel and toss. Give it a taste and add a bit more salt to your liking (I added about a teaspoon more).
- Toss in the pistachios and peach or nectarine. Top with the avocado. Garnish the avocado with salt and a fennel frond if you’re feeling fancy.
Adrianna Adarme is a food blogger and author living in Los Angeles, California. She writes the blog A Cozy Kitchen, where she shares comforting, everyday recipes from her kitchen. She recently authored her first cookbook, PANCAKES: 72 Sweet and Savory Recipes for the Perfect Stack. She’s a lover of breakfast, pie (and sometimes even pie for breakfast), corgis and cute things. You can find her on Twitter, Instagram, or Facebook.