This is the season of buttered leeks. People think I’m strange when I tell them that I would eat a bowl of buttered leeks as a snack. I really would. Please give me a spoon!
They are so delicious and simple. I love that leeks are so very humble, yet they have a flavor that so uniquely belongs to them. i love their bite, it’s fragrant and delicious.
I like to add them to grilled cheeses because they add a good flavor note that is unparalleled. Cooking the leeks down until they’re super soft and delicate makes them melt into the butter. It’s a glorious combination that I hope you try!
Leek and Mushroom Grilled Cheese
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, plus more for grilled cheese
- 1 leek, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 3 ounces of mushrooms, sliced
- Pinch of crushed red pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 cup of grated Gouda cheese
- Bread of choice
- To a medium skillet, set over medium heat, add the olive oil and butter. when the butter is melted, add the leeks and a few pinches of salt. Cook, stirring frequently, until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring frequently for another 7 minutes, until the mushrooms have cooked down. Stir in the crushed red pepper and Dijon mustard. Transfer to a bowl.
- To assemble the grilled cheese, add a few spoonfuls of the leek mixture to one half of bread. Top with a liberal handful of cheese. To a medium skillet, set over medium heat, add a tablespoon of butter. When melted, add the grilled cheese and cover with a lid. Cook until lightly golden brown on the first side, about 3 minutes. Flip and cook on the opposite side for about 3 minutes. Slice and serve.
Adrianna Adarme is a food blogger and author living in Los Angeles, California. She writes the blog A Cozy Kitchen, where she shares comforting, everyday recipes from her kitchen. She recently authored her first cookbook, PANCAKES: 72 Sweet and Savory Recipes for the Perfect Stack. She’s a lover of breakfast, pie (and sometimes even pie for breakfast), corgis and cute things. You can find her on Twitter, Instagram, or Facebook.