This might seem like a bit of a strange combo, blueberries and corn. But hear me out! I love nothing more than blueberries and corn together in sweet things. Blueberry Corn Ice Cream? Delicious. Cornbread studded with blueberries? Amazing. Blueberry Pie with a pie crust made with polenta? DREAMY.
This salad is super easy to throw together and the corn at the markets are SO good right now. Corn right now is sweet and delicious. Its perfect when paired with a sort of spicy hatch chile, the bite from the onion and the acid from the lime. I love to eat this with chips; its the perfect summer snack!
Hatch Chile Blueberry Corn Salad
- 1 fresh hatch chile
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Juice from 2 limes
- 1 1/2 cups fresh blueberries
- 3 ears of corn, husks removed and kernels cut off the cob
- 1/4 red onion, peeled and diced
- Place a hatch chile on the grates of your gas burner. Turn the flame to medium-high heat and rotate every 30 seconds or so until the entire chile is evenly charred. Immediately transfer it to a plastic sandwich bag and seal it up and allow to stand for about 5 minutes. This will steam the outer skin. Open up the plastic bag and transfer the chile to a cutting board. With the back of your knife, rub the charred skin off of the chile. Dice the chile, discarding the stems and seeds and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, add the olive oil and lime juice and a few pinches of salt; whisk together until combined. Add the blueberries, corn kernels, red onion and reserved diced chile. Toss until everything is evenly coated in the dressing. Give it a taste and adjust the salt to taste (I added a few pinches more). Serve with chips or eat solo with a fork.
Yield: 4-6 servings
Adrianna Adarme is a food blogger and author living in Los Angeles, California. She writes the blog A Cozy Kitchen, where she shares comforting, everyday recipes from her kitchen. She recently authored her first cookbook, PANCAKES: 72 Sweet and Savory Recipes for the Perfect Stack. She’s a lover of breakfast, pie (and sometimes even pie for breakfast), corgis and cute things. You can find her on Twitter, Instagram, or Facebook.