Summertime is for relaxing. Its for wearing sunglasses, sitting on porches and sipping sweet tea. There are times when Im convinced that I have a grandma living inside of me because rather than going to da club or any other stuff like that, Id rather be home baking with my corgi by my side.
This cake is meant for that leisure summer vibe. Its for snacking, for eating a little at a time. My favorite time to eat this cake is after a swim in the pool. I love that feeling!
The flavor of honey and corn are prominent, while the summer blueberries are sweet, tart and juicy. I dusted it with powdered sugar to make it as pretty as possible but its definitely optional. The assembly of this cake is easy breezy. Dry ingredients are combined with wet. The flavor comes from butter, greek yogurt and honey. They all work so well together to celebrate summer.
Honey Cornbread Snacking Cake
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 3/4 cups white granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 cup Greek yogurt
- 2/3 cup buttermilk, shaken
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup melted butter, cooled slightly, plus 1 additional tablespoon for pan
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1/3 cup fresh blueberries
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease (with butter) and flour an 8-inch cake pan and line the bottom with parchment.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the all-purpose flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside. In a medium bowl, whisk together the yogurt, buttermilk, eggs, melted butter and honey. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix until just combined.
- Add the batter to the cake pan and push the fresh blueberries into the top of the cake. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean. Allow the cake to cool for 5 minutes in the pan. Run a butter knife along the side and invert the cake onto a plate. Dust with powdered sugar.
Adrianna Adarme is a food blogger and author living in Los Angeles, California. She writes the blog A Cozy Kitchen, where she shares comforting, everyday recipes from her kitchen. She recently authored her first cookbook, PANCAKES: 72 Sweet and Savory Recipes for the Perfect Stack. She’s a lover of breakfast, pie (and sometimes even pie for breakfast), corgis and cute things. You can find her on Twitter, Instagram, or Facebook.