I know this sounds a little strange, but Id take a tostada over a taco any day of the week. I love tacos, but I REALLY love tostadas. I think I like the crunch part the best. Its almost like nachos but in more of a personalized form.
I personally like frying corn tortillas fresh and using those as tostadas, but of course, you could alway simply buy a tostada.
I made these breakfast-fied by smothering them with refried black beans (Ill always choose black beans over pinto beans), an egg and a ton of accessories: avocado, tomatoes, hot sauce and cilantro.
Theyre super quick to throw together and theyre perfect for a crowd because if you wanted to do, say, a tostada bar, you could add all of the toppings and garnishes to small bowls, fry off the tostadas and fry the eggs to order or make a big batch. This could also work with scrambled eggs, if thats easier.
- 6 to 8 corn tortillas OR tostadas
- Vegetable oil
- 6 to 8 large eggs
- 1 (14-ounce) can of refried black or pinto beans, warmed
- 1/2 red onion, diced, for garnish
- 1/4 pint of cherry tomatoes, sliced
- 1 avocado, diced, for garnish
- 1 tablespoon minced cilantro, for garnish
- Hot sauce of choice, for serving
- In a small or medium sauté pan, set over medium-high heat, add two tablespoons of olive oil. When the oil is hot, add a corn tortilla, frying it until crispy, about 1 minute, and then flipping it onto its other side for an additional minute or so. Repeat until you’ve worked your way through all of the tortillas.
- In the same sauté pan, add a teaspoon or two of additional oil, if needed. Fry each egg, one at a time, to your liking. I like to fry mine to about over medium, so about 2 to 3 minutes.
- To assemble the tostadas, add a tablespoon or two of warmed refried beans to each tostadas and smother it around into an even layer. Top with an egg, some red onion, tomatoes, avocado, cilantro and a splash of hot sauce.
Yield: Serves 6 to 8
Adrianna Adarme is a food blogger and author living in Los Angeles, California. She writes the blog A Cozy Kitchen, where she shares comforting, everyday recipes from her kitchen. She recently authored her first cookbook, PANCAKES: 72 Sweet and Savory Recipes for the Perfect Stack. She’s a lover of breakfast, pie (and sometimes even pie for breakfast), corgis and cute things. You can find her on Twitter, Instagram, or Facebook.