I tried to make homemade peeps this week and I failed miserably, over and over and over. I finally gave up on it and remembered that theyre kinda gross anyway. I never really liked em as a kid and always loved those Cadbury pastel chocolate mini eggs way more!
I decided to grab a bag that I had (yes, I bought maybe way too many bags while I was at the drug store but they were on sale!) and chop up the eggs and fold them into the most delicious chocolate cookie batter ever.
The results were heavenly. The cookies are delicious when eaten warm or at room temperature with a glass of cold milk. The mini eggs are so pretty scattered throughout the batter and since I was feeling indulgent, I scooped the cookies with a pretty big cookie scoop. Feel free to make them more treat size with a smaller cookie scoop.
Easter is next weekend and I hope these find their way to your table!
Chocolate Mini Egg Cookies
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon instant espresso powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 1/1 cups white granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 (10-ounce) bag of Cadbury mini chocolate eggs, roughly chopped
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, instant espresso powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand-up mixer, with the paddle attachment, add the butter and sugar. Beat on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add the eggs and vanilla extract and beat until combined. Add the flour and mix until combined. Lastly, add the chopped mini eggs and combine until they’re evenly distributed throughout the dough.
- Using a cookie scoop (size of your choosing), place rounds of cookie dough onto the baking sheet, spacing them about 3 inches a part (these cookies spread!). Transfer to the oven to bake for 8 to 10 minutes. Allow to cool on the baking sheet and repeat with the dough until you’ve baked all the cookies. Serve with cold milk.
Yield: Makes 12 to 24 (depending on the size of your cookie scoop)
Adrianna Adarme is a food blogger and author living in Los Angeles, California. She writes the blog A Cozy Kitchen, where she shares comforting, everyday recipes from her kitchen. She recently authored her first cookbook, PANCAKES: 72 Sweet and Savory Recipes for the Perfect Stack. She’s a lover of breakfast, pie (and sometimes even pie for breakfast), corgis and cute things. You can find her on Twitter, Instagram, or Facebook.