I feel like every fall I end up making the same salad over and over and over. This is it for me. I make renditions of this all the time. Sometimes I’ll add an anchovy filet to the dressing. Sometimes I’ll add a bunch of crushed red pepper to make it super spicy. Sometimes I’ll add dill instead of parsley. But it’s usually the same for the most part. It’s my favorite type of salad. It’s tart and refreshing and yet still screams winter/fall to me.
The walnuts are delicious nutty edition and I will be very bold with this next statement and declare that walnuts are my favorite type of nut.
This salad is great to make ahead because you can add everything to the bowl and then don’t mix it together right before you’re ready to serve. And honestly even if you forget that instruction and toss it together and come back in two hours, the salad will still be delicious. I feel like the kale will be more broken down but yet still magical in just a slightly different way.
Kale Apple Salad
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- 6 tablespoons oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced parsley
- 1 bunch of kale, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 5 to 6 brussels sprouts, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 1 honey crisp apple, peeled and cut into matchsticks
- 1/4 cup finely grated Parmesan-Reggiano, plus more for topping
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- Dressing: In a very large bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, oil, garlic, a few pinches of salt, a few rounds of black pepper and minced parsley.
- Salad: To the very large bowl, add the thinly sliced kale, brussels sprouts, apple, Parmesan and walnuts. Just before serving, toss everything together until the kale and all of the other ingredients are thoroughly coated in dressing. Garnish with Parmesan cheese and serve.
Adrianna Adarme is a food blogger and author living in Los Angeles, California. She writes the blog A Cozy Kitchen, where she shares comforting, everyday recipes from her kitchen. She recently authored her first cookbook, PANCAKES: 72 Sweet and Savory Recipes for the Perfect Stack. She’s a lover of breakfast, pie (and sometimes even pie for breakfast), corgis and cute things. You can find her on Twitter, Instagram, or Facebook.