When I was on Whole 30 last month, this was one of my favorite things to eat. Im sure youre so bored with Whole 30 talk but when youre on it and going through it, potatoes are the saving grace. They provide so much comfort. This has a few non-whole 30 things like peas, but its still super healthy and delicious.
The worcestershire is my absolute favorite. I love the depth of flavor it gives the ground chicken or turkey and the sweet potato topping is ideal for that chilly winter evening you might be experiencing!
Sweet Potato Shepherd’s Pie
- Sweet Potato Topping:
- 1 large sweet potato
- 2 tablespoon unsalted butter, cubed
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of black pepper
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 1 pound ground chicken or turkey
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Pinch of crushed red pepper
- 1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1/4 cup minced kale leaves
- 1/4 cup frozen peas
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Wrap sweet potato with foil and place on baking sheet. Roast for about 1 hour. Unwrap carefully (it’ll be super hot!) and scoop out flesh and transfer to a bowl. Mix the butter, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Grease a 8x4-inch loaf pan and set aside. To a medium saucepan, set over medium heat, add the olive oil. Next, add the onion and cook until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the ground chicken or turkey and cook for about 4 minutes, until mostly cooked. Next add the garlic, tomato paste, salt and crushed red pepper, Worcestershire and thyme leaves. Give it a stir and add about 1/4 water. This will make it nice and saucy. Lastly mix in the minced kale and peas.
- Add the ground meat filling to the loaf pan. Top with the sweet potato topping and smooth it into an even layer. Transfer to the oven to bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until the top is slightly browned. Scoop into bowls and serve.
Adrianna Adarme is a food blogger and author living in Los Angeles, California. She writes the blog A Cozy Kitchen, where she shares comforting, everyday recipes from her kitchen. She recently authored her first cookbook, PANCAKES: 72 Sweet and Savory Recipes for the Perfect Stack. She’s a lover of breakfast, pie (and sometimes even pie for breakfast), corgis and cute things. You can find her on Twitter, Instagram, or Facebook.