When people ask me where they should start in building a spice cabinet, I always tell them to include ground chipotle. It’s one of the things that I put on everything. It adds a rich flavor that is makes nearly everything better. It makes simple things exciting… like a chicken salad.
I just got back from my Japan and I went pretty heavy on the noodles so I’ve been making salads daily in order to get some balance into my life. When I went to the market, the mangos were bursting.
This is a simple red onion dressing that I tossed arugula in. And then I added some mango, avocado to spice it all up. And then, I seared up some boneless, skinless chicken breast and it was actually flavorful and not dry. The trick I believe is not overcooking it. This salad will be on repeat all summer long—I can’t wait!
Chipotle Chicken Mango Salad
- 2 boneless and skinless chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon ground chipolte
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Juice from 1 lime
- 1/4 jalapeno, diced
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1 mango, diced
- 2 cups arugula
- Sprinkle both sides of the chicken with the ground chipotle, cumin, cayenne and salt. In a medium pan set over medium-high heat, add the oil. When the oil is warm, add the seasoned chicken and cook for about 5 to 7 minutes on each side. Transfer to a cutting board to rest before slicing.
- In a large bowl, add the olive oil, lime juice and a few pinches of salt. Whisk until combined. Add the jalapeño, diced avocado, mango and arugula. Toss until completely coated in the dressing. Divide amongst bowls. Slice up the chicken and add to the top of the salad.
Adrianna Adarme is a food blogger and author living in Los Angeles, California. She writes the blog A Cozy Kitchen, where she shares comforting, everyday recipes from her kitchen. She recently authored her first cookbook, PANCAKES: 72 Sweet and Savory Recipes for the Perfect Stack. She’s a lover of breakfast, pie (and sometimes even pie for breakfast), corgis and cute things. You can find her on Twitter, Instagram, or Facebook.