The weather in Seattle the last couple days has been fabulously perfect. This can only mean one thing its time to remove the protective cover from the grill, fire it up, and give my oven a break. The only criteria I need to motivate me to grill are warm temperatures, glorious blue skies, and no grey clouds trying to sneak up and ruin our outdoor fun.
Normally I love to season salmon with just a little bit of salt and pepper, but occasionally I will season it with a homemade rub. Making a rub is a great alternative to marinating salmon. Taking only a few minutes to mix together, rubs do not require any additional soaking time before grilling like marinades do. Just a quick rub of the spices and the salmon can go straight to the grill. The end result is a very moist and flavorful salmon fillet. Not bad for a couple minutes of work. You could stop there, or for a few more minutes of work and no additional cooking you can make this quick and easy corn salsa to compliment the salmon. All you need to do is some light chopping and mixing. Together this winning combination of seasoned salmon topped and corn salsa is healthy, light, and a breeze to make. So heres to less time inside and more fun time outside. Enjoy!
Corn Salsa Over Grilled Salmon
A healthy and flavorful dinner: corn salsa over grilled salmon.
- *Corn Salsa Ingredients*
- 12 -ounce bag frozen sweet corn
- 1 - 15 ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 red bell pepper, seeds removed and chopped
- 1 avocado, removed from its skin and cubed
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- Fresh squeezed lime juice from 1 large lime
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- *Salmon Seasoning Ingredients*
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon dill
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 - (6-ounce) salmon fillets
- Gently mix the corn, black beans, red bell pepper, avocado, cilantro, lime juice, and salt in a medium bowl. Cover the bowl and place in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
- Generously coat a grill (or grill pan) with non-stick spray and preheat to medium heat.
- In a small bowl, mix the brown sugar, cumin, chili powder, paprika, kosher salt, coriander, dill, and pepper together.
- Rub 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil over each piece of salmon followed by 1 tablespoon of rub.
- Grill the salmon, flesh side down, for 5 minutes. Carefully flip the salmon and cook for an additional 5-6 minutes until the fish is cooked through.
- Place each piece of salmon on a plate and top with a generous serving of corn salsa.
- *Leftover salsa can be used for dipping chips.
Prep Time: 5 Minutes
Cook Time: 10 Minutes
Total Time: 15 Minutes
Alice Currah is the publisher of popular food blog, Savory Sweet Life. Her approachable everyday recipes are accompanied by beautiful step by step photos and have been featured online at Martha Stewart, Real Simple, The Pioneer Woman, Epicurious, Bon Appetit, Saveur, iVillage and many more. In March 2010, Forbes.com featured Alice as one of Eight of the Very Best Food Bloggers. You can find her on Twitter, Instagram, or Facebook.