With three apples and a cup of yogurt you can make these delicious muffins that stay extra moist thanks to the yogurt.
Source: Marge Randles, Argyle Cheese Farmer
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1 large egg beaten
- 1/2 cup butter melted
- 2 teaspoons lemon peel grated
- 3 baking apples peeled and finely diced
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- In a large bowl, combine flour, 1/2 cup sugar, baking powder, baking soda, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Blend together then set aside. In a small bowl, stir yogurt until creamy, then add beaten egg. Add melted butter and grated lemon peel.
- Blend together then add to the flour mixture and stir quickly until just mixed. Gently fold in 3 peeled, diced baking apples. Mix together (batter will be lumpy). Spoon into a greased muffin tin about two-thirds full.
- Topping: Combine 1/4 cup sugar with 2 teaspoons cinnamon and sprinkle over the unbaked muffins. Bake in a 375° F oven for 20-25 minutes, or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.
Nutrition Info(Each serving provides 230 calories, 8 grams fat, 5 grams saturated fat, 40 mg cholesterol, 330 mg sodium, 36 grams carbohydrates, 2 grams fiber, 18 grams sugar, 4 grams protein)