Source: Adapted from Pennsylvania Nutrition Education Network, Website Recipes, The Pennsylvania Nutrition Education Program
- small butternut squash
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 (16-ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- Heat the squash in the microwave on high heat for 1-2 minutes. This will soften the skin.
- Carefully peel skin off the squash with a vegetable peeler or small knife. Cut the squash in half lengthwise and remove seeds with a spoon. Cut meat of squash into 1/2-inch cubes.
- Peel and chop the onion. In a large pan, heat the oil. Add the onion, stir until coated and almost clear.
- Add squash. Cook for 5 minutes on medium heat. Add garlic powder, vinegar and water.
- Cook on low heat until the squash is tender, about 20-25 minutes. Add the beans and oregano. Cook until the beans are heated through.
Nutrition InfoEach serving provides 120 calories, 10 calories from fat, 1 gram fat, 0 grams saturated fat, 0 grams trans fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 270 mg sodium, 28 grams carbohydrates, 8 grams fiber, 3 grams sugar, 6 grams protein