- Pizza dough for 1 large pizza or 2 small pizzas (about 1 ¼ lbs. total) divided into 4 pieces and rolled into balls (to make your own pizza dough, see note below.)
- 1/2 - ¾ cup red pasta sauce or tomato sauce
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese or fresh chopped mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup precooked chicken sausage sliced (optional)
- 1/2 cup pepperoni (optional)
- 1/2 cup sliced mushrooms (optional)
- 1/2 cup baby spinach leaves (optional)
- 1 Tbsp. minced garlic (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Spray a baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray.
- Flatten each ball of dough. Over a lightly floured surface, stretch and form it into a disk that is 7 - 8 inches in diameter and about ¼-inch thick.
- On half of the disk spread a spoonful of sauce (try to stop about 3/4-inch before the edge of the dough to make it easier to seal) and a handful of cheese. Top the cheese with some of the above fillings, if desired.
- Fold the empty half of the dough over the filling to make a half-moon shape. Pinch the edges to seal.
- Bake calzones for 10 - 12 minutes or until the calzones are golden brown.
Tips/TechniquesTo make your own pizza dough in a bread machine, combine 2 cups bread flour, 3 Tbsp. sugar, 1 tsp. salt, 3 Tbsp. olive oil, 2/3 cup water, and 1 1/4 tsp. active dry yeast in the bread machine. Follow your machine's directions for making dough.