- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 medium shallots,minced
- 1 tablespoon capers in salt, rinsed
- 1 cup sliced oyster mushrooms
- 4 boneless 1/2-inch thick chicken cutlets
- 1/2 cup flour
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup sweet or dry Marsala wine
- Juice and zest of 1 large lemon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a sauté pan over medium heat and cook the shallots until they soften. Stir in the capers and cook 1 minute longer. Transfer the mixture to a small dish.
- Add the remaining olive oil to the pan and cook the mushrooms until they are soft and have rendered their liquid. Transfer them to the dish with the shallots and capers.
- Cut the cutlets horizontally in half. Pour the flour into a plastic bag, add the lemon zest and 1 teaspoon of salt and a grinding of pepper. Add the cutlets,close the bag and shake to coat them in the flour. Set aside.
- Melt 3 tablespoons of the butter in the pan, add the cutlets and brown them on each side. Do not crowd them. As they brown, remove them to a dish.
- Stir in the remaining butter.
- Raise the heat to high, stir in the wine and lemon juice and scrape the bottom of the pan to loosen all the brown bits. Lower the heat, return the chicken, mushrooms and capers back to the pan and heat through. Serve hot.
Tips/Techniques3/4 cup dried porcini mushrooms, rehydrated and drained, may be substituted for the oyster mushrooms or a combination of both may by used.