- 3/4 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 3/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 8 chicken cutlets or 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, halved horizontally (about 1 1/2 pounds total)
- Salt and fresh ground pepper
- 1 large egg lightly beaten
- 2 cups jarred tomato sauce or Easy Chunky Tomato Sauce
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 6 ounces mozzarella cheese preferably fresh, cut into eight 1/4-inch-thick slices
- Heat broiler. Combine breadcrumbs and parmesan in a shallow bowl. Season both sides of chicken with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Dip chicken in the beaten egg, then dredge in breadcrumb mixture, turning to coat both sides.
- Spread tomato sauce onto the bottom of a 10-by-15 inch baking dish. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Place 4 chicken cutlets in skillet; cook until golden, 1 to 2 minutes on each side. Using a spatula, transfer browned cutlets to baking dish, placing them on top of sauce. Repeat with remaining oil and cutlets.
- Top each cutlet with a slice of mozzarella. Broil about 4 inches from heat source until sauce is hot and cheese is melted and lightly browned in spots, 5 to 8 minutes. Serve immediately.
Nutrition InfoPer serving: 729 calories; 37.6 grams fat; 60.2 grams protein; 36.2 grams carbohydrates; 0.9 grams fiber