- 3 cups sliced blanched almonds
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup apricot (or other) jam
- Preheat oven to 350° . In a food processor, finely grind almonds, sugar, and salt. Add egg whites and vanilla; pulse until a ball forms.
- With wet hands, shape level tablespoons of dough into little balls (dough will be very sticky). Place on parchment-lined baking sheets; flatten slightly. Use moist finger to make an indentation in the center of each cookie. Bake until crackly and light golden, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Cool 5 minutes; transfer to a rack. Meanwhile, warm jam over low heat or in microwave in 10-second intervals until slightly liquefied and easy to spoon. Spoon jam filling into each cookie. Let set, about 5 minutes.
Nutrition InfoPer cookie: 107 calories; 6.9 grams fat; 3.1 grams protein; 8.8 grams carbohydrates; 1.3 grams fiber