- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 chopped red onions
- 4 chicken thighs with bones
- 6 chicken legs with bones
- 4 diced medium tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon garlic paste
- ¼ cup fresh ginger
- 2 hot green peppers
- 1-2 teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoon red chili powder or cayenne pepper
- ⅓ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ⅓ cup chopped fresh cilantro (reserve 1 tablespoon for garnish)
- Heat the oil in pan on medium-high heat. Sauté onions until wilted and just starting to caramelize.
- Add chicken to pan and stir until chicken starts to lightly caramelize.
- Add remaining ingredients to the pot and stir together until combined. Cover with lid and reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer for 45 minutes to 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Once chicken is fork-tender, uncover pot, turn flame to high, and stir chicken continuously, scraping the bottom of the pan until the sauce thickens slightly and oil starts to separate from gravy.
- Take off heat and sprinkle with remaining chopped cilantro. Serve with basmati rice or flat breads such as naan, roti, or paratha.
Tips/TechniquesThis recipe is provided by Faiza Jamil.