- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more for the pot
- 1 pound russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-inch chunks
- 1 ½ pounds green beans, trimmed, cut into 2-inch lengths
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Bring a pot with 3 quarts of salted water to a boil. Add the potatoes, and cook until they just begin to become tender, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add the green beans, and cook until the potatoes and green beans are tender, about 10 to 12 minutes more. Drain well.
- Put the green beans and potatoes back in the cooking pot. Season with the salt and the olive oil. Use a potato masher to mash the green beans and potatoes together. Serve immediately, topped with freshly ground black pepper.