- 1 lb. littleneck clams scrubbed and rinsed
- 1-1/4 lb. new potatoes (smaller size) scrubbed with steel wool
- 4 ounces slab bacon cubed
- 1 small onion chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1/2 tablespoon chopped tarragon
- 1 ounce chilled butter
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a saucepan cook the new potatoes in boiling salted water until just cooked or tender to the piercing with a fork. Drain water and reserve the potatoes.
- In a shallow pan with a lid, heat olive oil, add the bacon and sauté until light brown. Remove the bacon and place on a paper towel.
- Pour off some of the bacon fat from the pan, add the onions and sauté until translucent. Add the still-warm potatoes and clams to the pan. Increase the heat and add the white wine. Place the lid on the pan for approximately 2 minutes or until the clams have just opened. Add the cream and reduce slightly.
- To finish, add the chilled butter and fresh herbs. Lightly season with salt and pepper and serve hot.
This segment appears in show #2723.
Recipe courtesy of James Walt © 2002 James Walt