Recipe by Denise Santoro Lincoln
- 1 cup cooked steel-cut oats
- 3/4 stick of softened butter
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup cut up currants prunes, raisins or dried apricots
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans walnuts or almonds
- Preheat oven to 350 degree.
- Combine butter, sugar and egg and mix until combined. I use an electric mixer, but you can do this by hand.
- Add in the cooked oats, being sure to fully incorporate it into the mix.
- Mix the flour, baking soda and salt in a separate bowl and then add to the oat and butter mixture.
- Add in fruit and nuts and mix until just incorporated (but not too much or the batter will become rubbery).
- Spread the batter into a greased 8 x 8 pan.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool and serve.