- 4 firm ripe Bosc pears
- 2 tablespoons light-brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup vanilla ice cream
- Peel 4 firm, ripe Bosc pears, and core from the bottom using a melon baler, leaving stems intact. In a 2-qart microwave-safe dish with a lid, place 2 tablespoons light-brown sugar and 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, and add pears. Cover, and microwave on high until the pears are tender enough to pierce with a knife, 10 to 12 minutes (timing will vary depending upon ripeness of pears). Don’t be concerned if pears fall over on their sides as they cook. Carefully uncover, as dish lid will release steam.
- Transfer cooked pears to four shallow serving bowls, leaving juices behind. Add ¼ cup vanilla ice cream to the juices of the dish; stir until smooth and saucy. Dividing evenly, spoon sauce around the pears; serve at room temperature or chilled.
Tips/TechniquesNote: You can serve these warm, or you can make the pears and the sauce, store them separately in the refrigerator, and serve chilled.