- 4 bone-in thick cut (about 1 1/4-inches) rib pork chops (12 ounces each)
- 4 shallots peeled and halved
- 1 lb. parsnips or carrots cut into 1 1/2 by 1/4-inch pieces
- 1 cup apple cider
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- Heat a large cast iron skillet over medium-high. Season pork with salt and pepper. Add pork, fat side down (the side of the chop) and cook until some of the fat has rendered, about 1 minute. Add shallots to pan and cook until pork is brown on both sides, about 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- Reduce heat to medium, add parsnips, cider, and 1 cup water; cook until parsnips are crisp-tender, about 8 minutes. Return chops to pan and cook until medium (still slightly pink in the center) and parsnips are tender and liquid is syrupy, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in vinegar.