- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons margarine or butter
- 1 head of red cabbage, shredded
- 1/2 cup to 1 cup water
- 2 apples, diced or 1 cup of unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Melt margarine or butter in a large pot before adding diced onion. Cook until onions are soft and clear (do not brown!).
- Add shredded cabbage, mix with onions and let cook down for a few minutes. Add 1/2 cup water to start, then add diced apples or applesauce, vinegar, sugar and salt.
- Let simmer on low until recipe reaches desired consistency, at least 1 hour.
- Check frequently and stir often to make sure it does not burn, adding more water if needed.
Nutrition InfoEach serving provides 101 calories, 3 grams fat, 1.9 grams saturated fat, 8 mg cholesterol, 330 mg sodium, 18 grams carbohydrates, 3.4 grams fiber, 13.5 grams sugar, 1.5 grams protein