Make this rhubarb jam pie recipe from Around the Farm Table.
- Double Crust for a 9″ pie
- 1 3/4 lbs rhubarb (6 cups), chopped into 1/2″ pieces
- 1 Eight oz. jar of your favorite jam
- 1 1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 6 Tablespoons flour, plus more for dusting
- Pinch of salt
- Zest from one orange
- Pre-heat oven to 450
- In a medium bowl add rhubarb, jam, flour, pinch of salt, 1 cup of sugar and orange zest, cover and let sit while you roll out the pastry.
- Roll half the crust into a 10″ circle, place in the bottom of a 9″ pie plate.
- Sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup sugar on the bottom of the pie pastry. This will keep the pastry from becoming soggy.
- Roll out the remaining pastry into another 10″ circle. Using a pastry cutter or a sharp knife cut strips of pasty about 1″ wide for a lattice top. Start in the very middle of the pastry cutting longer strips and work your way to the sides. When the strips are all cut begin weaving them onto the top of the pie. The best way I can explain how to do this is trial and error, you’ll get the hang of it, and if it doesn’t work, who knows, you may have just invented a new design for pie crust.
- Feel free to egg wash the top of the pie crust and sprinkle a bit of sugar on. Place the pie on a parchment lined cookie sheet and turn the oven back down to 425 before putting the pie in the oven.
- Bake the pie for an hour to an hour and a half, the pie will be done when the filling starts to bubble. Let it cool before eating.